Today’s #toastgoals: BAGELS, LOX + CREAM CHEESE 2.0
Y’all know I’m a JAP, right? (Jewish American princess, for anyone wondering), so y’all know I also grew up with the traditional bagels, lox & cream cheese, right?
Here’s my take on a healthier version. Instead of cream cheese, I used Spread ‘Em Kitchen vegan cashew chive & garlic cheese spread, which TBH, doesn’t even make me miss the cream cheese. That’s how good it is (AND, THE INGREDIENTS ARE SO CLEAN!). The rest pretty much stays the same, only I swapped the traditional sesame bagel for Ezekiel sesame sprouted toast for added fibre, protein, vitamins, minerals & a digestive health boost!
Before we get into the details of how to put this easy & simple breakfast toast together, let’s talk about some PRO TIPS ABOUT BUYING SMOKED SALMON SMOKED SALMON:
- always go for wild-caught Alaskan salmon (they generally contain lower levels of toxins).
- stay away from farmed Atlantic salmon (the fish are raised in large densely packed pens that pollute surrounding waters with waste + chemicals & are more prone to life & illness due to the crowdedness of their pens & antibiotics are often used to treat disease).
- there is no USDA organic standard for salmon & no guarantee “organic” label means anything except that the salmon was farmed, so don’t fall for it & pay more. Just make sure your salmon is fresh, wild-caught & BRIGHT (it shouldn’t look dull).
- the brighter the salmon, the higher its DHA (omega-3 fatty acid content) & antioxidants (carotenoids, the same pigment that makes carrots orange are also found in salmon – they fight inflammation, heart disease, cancer & aging).
- 2 slices Ezekiel sprouted sesame toast
- Smoked salmon slices
- Red onion rounds
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp. Spread ‘Em Kitchen vegan cashew chive + garlic “cheese” spread
- Dried parsley
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Toast the bread, spread the “cheese”, top with salmon & other toppings & enjoy!