It’s no secret that I love my oats, but it’s always fun to change things up a bit, so here’s my take on a grain-free granola sweetened with just organic Medjool dates & Ceylon cinnamon!
It’s full of anti-inflammatory omega fatty acids, fibre, protein, magnesium, iron, antioxidants & MCTs for brain health & sustained energy! And get this? I added in an adaptogenic kick with ashwagandha powder for an extra dose of energy, hormone health & stress relief!
You’ll love it as is, as a topping for Greek yogurt, cashew cream, oats or smoothies! It’s crispy, crunchy, roasted & bursting with coconut flavour!
Instead of adding maple syrup or coconut flower syrup like I usually would, I decided to try a little something different & chop up a few dates to sweeten it lightly! IMO, coconut already has such a delicious touch-of-sweet flavour that it really doesn’t need much sweetening! I figured dates would be a good way to add that little touch, not to mention they do also have a lot of health benefits!
Some of the things that stand out to me about dates & make them a great way to add some sweetness into your recipes & your life are:
- super high in fibre, making them great for fullness & digestion
- an amazing source of energy
- they contain minerals, such as: calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium & zinc, which means not only are they great for bone health, preventing chronic fatigue & energy slumps, but they’re also a great way to naturally replenish the body’s electrolytes after intense sweat sessions
- they also contain vitamin A & K & B complex vitamins, which are crucial for everything from energy to skin health to cognitive & mental health.
- dates are also great blood builders & good for purifying the blood
Now, dates are not the only nutritious ingredient in this babe of a recipe. I MEAN, HAVE YOU MET ME? It also contains tons of nutrient-dense nuts & seeds, such as: chia, cashews & almonds, as well as raw organic cacao nibs & shredded coconut. Cacao nibs are a very high source of magnesium, iron & antioxidants & they are a lot lower in sugar than chocolate chips (even dark ones!).
- 1 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp. raw organic cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp. organic chia seeds
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted almonds
- 2 tbsp. organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 3-4 organic Medjool dates, pitted & chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ashwagandha root powder (I use Organic Traditions)
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl & toss to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the granola on the baking sheet & bake for 10-12 minutes, until browned & crispy. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn!
- Once baked, remove the granola from the oven, toss it up with spatula & let cool on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes. It’ll crisp up a bit more.
- Store in an airtight container or mason jar to preserve freshness! Enjoy!