The plant-based lover in me strikes again!
And this VEGAN SPROUTED LENTIL & VEGGIE COCONUT STEW is so good that I bet I’ll ignite a plant-based lover in you too!
There’s something about lentils that gives me this best of both worlds feeling: they’re plant-based, full of fibre + protein, iron, antioxidants & amazing for the skin BUT, they’re also the closest thing you’ll get to that meaty flavour in ground chicken or turkey! Hence… best of both worlds!
This stew is super simple & easy to prepare & can be customized to your liking based on the veggies you love or have on hand! I used zucchini, mushrooms & asparagus but feel free to get creative!
The seasonings are super simple because I wanted the flavour of the coconut aminos to shine! (P.S. If you’re looking for a way to cut back on sodium in your cooking, swap your soy-based products like soy or tamari sauce with coconut aminos. It contains 70% less sodium, beneficial enzymes, amino acids & B vitamins).
Prep this for meal prep or as an easy dinner when you get home from a long day of school or work & can’t be bothered to prepare something too complicated! I personally find that a recipe like this one actually tastes better after a day or two because the flavours really have time to meld & marinate, which is why it makes for a great meal prep staple!
- 1 cup sprouted organic lentils, cooked according to package
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 package portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup organic coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils according to package directions. (When I say 1 cup, it’s 1 cup of dry lentils, which expands when cooked).
- In a large skillet, add the veggies & garlic & spray with avocado oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until veggies begin to cook through & look browned.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, add the cooked lentils, spices & all the other seasonings & toss to coat.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat once more & stir to combine the ingredients for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat & enjoy!