Yesterday, after my workout, I wanted a huge, crunchy & satisfying salad! Here’s the result (a.k.a. my creativity striking as I stood in front of my fridge for 5 min. straight). I had to devour it with some Simple Mills cracked black pepper crackers because… I mean, if you’ve tried them, YOU KNOW. And if you haven’t? DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR & get them at Chez Anna if you’re from my hood. Otherwise, find a way; you need them in your life!
This salad is full of plant-based goodness, greens & veggies. Pine nuts add anti-inflammatory omega fatty acids, while the avocado boosts healthy fat content & adds fibre, vitamin C & antioxidants. The apricots are rich in potassium, which is necessary for a healthy heart & regulating blood pressure & to maintain proper electrolyte balance in the body.
How would I define this salad in just a few words?
- Full of flavour
- Naturally sweet
KITK TIP: Can’t stomach downing a shot of apple cider vinegar straight or diluted in water or apple juice? Add it to your salad dressing! It’ll mask the taste & ensures that you still get in a good dose of all its benefits. How awesome is that?
INGREDIENTS (For a single-serve salad):
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 huge handfuls spinach
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 avocado, cubed
- 1 tbsp. raw organic pine nuts
- 2-3 dried organic apricots (unsweetened & unsulphured; my faves are by Fruit Bliss!)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 radish, sliced finely
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 tbsp. organic balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. thyme
- Sea salt + black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Handful of fresh parsley
- TOPPINGS: Nutritional yeast & black pepper
- Add all the salad ingredients to a metal mixing bowl.
- Prepare the dressing in a separate bowl by whisking the ingredients together until uniform.
- Pour the dressing over the salad & toss.
- Top with nutritional yeast & black pepper.