Guys, even if it’s not your birthday, YOU NEED these GRAIN-FREE VANILLA ALMOND BIRTHDAY CAKE CUPCAKES stat! Seriously, I’m not just saying that… there are SO MANY things that are so amazing about these cupcakes that I don’t even know were to begin. But let me try.
- Grain-free, gluten, egg + refined sugar free!
- The batter is entirely vegan (the only thing that isn’t is the frosting!)
- I swapped the sprinkles with freeze-dried organic fruit crumbles for a healthier cupcake!
- Crumbly on the outside & moist & chewy on the inside!
- BURSTING with vanilla flavour & they’ll totally remind you of birthday cake!
- Minimal ingredients. Easy prep. ONE BOWL.
- Greek yogurt vanilla protein frosting? YES YES YES! The easiest frosting ever & no mixer necessary!
So yes, they look this beautiful, they taste this delicious & YES, THEY ARE THIS HEALTHY! The base of the batter is almond flour & they’re sweetened naturally with coconut sugar & vanilla! The rest of the ingredients are super basic & all plant-based (except for the frosting!). WHO WOULD’VE THOUGHT… A HEALTHY CUPCAKE? DOES THAT EXIST? A HEALTHY CUPCAKE THAT TASTES LIKE BIRTHDAY CAKE, WHAT?!?!
For the frosting, I decided to use Greek yogurt as opposed to powdered sugar & egg whites. I figured it would not only be easier, but also more nutritious, lower in sugar & carbs & way richer in protein! If you prefer to keep your frosting vegan or plant-based, you can try the Simple Mills one (it’s super clean & delicious) or you can make your own at home with some basic frosting ingredients! I personally LOVE the idea of the Greek yogurt frosting because it adds a bit of tart flavour to complement the sweetness of the cupcakes! I also threw in some vanilla & protein powder to thicken it up & add EVEN MORE protein! So yes, a healthy delicious cupcake that tastes like birthday cake & is super high in protein!!!!!!
Without further ado, let’s get right into it!
FOR 6 LARGE CUPCAKES or 8 MEDIUM ONES:
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 packs of freeze-dried fruit of your choice (& more for sprinkling)
- Coconut oil cooking spray
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. organic grass-fed Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp. pure organic vanilla
- 1 tbsp. vegan protein
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 tbsp. pure organic maple syrup, yacon or coconut flower syrup for a sweeter frosting
- Preheat your oven to 350F & spray a muffin tin with coconut oil cooking spray (or use muffin liners).
- Add all the ingredients (except the crumbled freeze-dried fruit) to a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined & incorporated.
- In a small bowl or plate, crumble the freeze-dried fruit until they look like sprinkles-ISH!
- Once the batter is mixed, add the freeze-dried crumbles & gently mix again until combined.
- Portion out the batter into the muffin tin/liners, filling about 3/4 way through.
- Bake the cupcakes for 10-12 minutes, until browned & crumbly on top & a knife comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Simply add the frosting ingredients to a small bowl & mix until combined.
- Once the cupcakes are ready, remove from the oven & let them cool for about 10-15 minutes in the muffin tin.
- Use a knife to cut around the muffins & gently remove them from the tin.
- Place them on a plate or large cutting board & use a spoon to gently spread the frosting on the tops. Once frosted, top the cupcakes with more freeze-dried fruit.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container in order to preserve freshness!