Here’s a light, chunky, quick, simple, easy but super flavourful soup you can prep ahead of time for healthy lunches + side dishes. The ingredients are simple & clean, prep is minimal & taste is on fleek! It’ll keep you fuller longer due to all the fibre & provides a good dose of vitamins + minerals!
Cabbage is packed with fibre, which means it helps lower bad cholesterol, protect the heart & lower blood sugar levels. It’s also a powerful immune booster due to its high antioxidant content, helps build strong bones (due to its vitamin K content), boosts energy due to B-complex content, relieves high blood pressure due to its high electrolytes content (magnesium, potassium, etc.) & fights certain types of disease & cancer. It’s also a super powerful anti-inflammatory food, which means it helps with all things digestion, detoxification, skin health & cognitive function. It’s also a very alkaline food, which means it provides natural relief from acid reflex.
But that’s not all the goodness that’s in this soup!
There’s also tons of other veggies & dried herbs, which add even MORE antioxidants & detoxifying benefits, not to mention tons of flavour! I used Neal Brother’s Roasted Garlic organic tomato sauce to spice things up even more, but you can use any tomato sauce or paste of your choice. I also used water instead of veggie broth to cut sodium content (but also because I had no broth in my pantry #truedat!). Something I like to do is do half a portion of water & half a portion of veggie broth so that I’m still getting some added flavour, all while cutting back on salt! ALSO, I always buy low-sodium broth!
This soup is DELISH as a side dish with dinner or great for lunch if you throw in some hemp, flax or chia seeds to add a dose of healthy fats & protein. I absolutely love the tomato touch & I hope you will too!!
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup Neal Brothers roasted garlic organic tomato sauce OR any tomato sauce or paste of your choice
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- 2 huge tbsp. dried basil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Black pepper + sea salt to taste
- 3 huge handfuls fresh spinach
- 8 cups green cabbage
- 6-7 cups water or low-sodium veggie broth (or half/half)
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons
- Spray a deep skillet with avocado oil. Add onion, garlic, oregano, tomato sauce & sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the basil, tomatoes, sea salt & black pepper & sauté again for another 3-4 minutes, until the tomatoes soften & look browned.
- Add the spinach, cabbage & water (or broth) & bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, lower heat to a simmer & simmer for 10-12 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Remove from the heat, let cool slightly & add the lemon juice & any dried or fresh herbs of choice.