My dad is gonna LOVE me for making these! I’ve been prepping a ton of chicken + turkey recipes for him in an effort to reduce his red meat consumption, but hey… everything in moderation, right?!
If you know, you know… KEFTA is ground beef mixed with tons of Moroccan flavourful spices! Let’s just say, we grew up with KEFTA on the BBQ on warm summer nights! KEFTA HERE, KEFTA THERE, KEFTA EVERYWHERE!
If you like traditional meatball recipes, you’re going to fall head over meatballs with this one!! Plus, it’s FINALLY time for me to share something with red meat! You guys know I don’t eat red meat because my body simply doesn’t digest it properly, but I felt it would be nice to get a recipe on the blog that contains it in case you guys love it! I do want to stress that it’s important, like with any food, to eat red meat in moderation. It can be rather harmful if eaten too often, especially for those who are at risk for heart disease, diabetes & high cholesterol. It’s also a lot richer in fat than other meat & poultry, so it’s important to be mindful! It does, however, contain high amounts of protein, iron, B12 & zinc, which are all crucial for our overall health.
If you don’t eat red meat or are trying to consciously reduce your consumption of it, you can simply swap the beef for ground chicken or turkey & season it just the same!
BTW, if you prefer, you can also make these babies into burgers if you’re not a fan of the meatball thing! The marinade also works great for kebabs if you want to use the recipe for a summer BBQ! They’re so full of flavour that they’ll make guests, kids, hubbies, wifeys, friends & family be WOWED!
- 2 small packages of extra-lean ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken)
- 2 tbsp. psyllium husks
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A few splashes of apple cider vinegar
- 4-5 green onions, chopped
- 1.5 tsp. cumin
- 1.5 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard seed (or coriander/cilantro)
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl & mix until combined & incorporated.
- Roll the babes into 20-25 meatballs, based on desired size (I made about 20-22 medium ones!) & place on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Baked for 25-30 minutes, until browned, crispy & cooked through.