Would you laugh at me if I told you I was craving a bean salad today?
The result of my craving was this! Not bad, right?
It’s crazy how when you make small changes to your lifestyle to live healthier, everything around you changes for the better! I won’t lie, I used to be the girl who craved Doritos, Cheetos, Starbucks mocha Frappuccino’s, McDonald’s fries & Chips Ahoy Cookies. Those foods are all addictive AF & TBH, I didn’t think I’d ever stop wanting & craving them. It was a vicious cycle. Fast forward to today & I now crave BEAN SALADS, nuts, homemade cookies, smoothies, avocado toast, Greek yogurt, fruits, Buddha bowls & veggies for days.
The reason my cravings changed? Because I actively chose to make changes in my life & to start fuelling my body with wholesome & nutritious foods. I learned to understand WHY I was putting certain foods into my body & what benefits they provide. I stopped eating just to eat or because I was bored & began to eat for health & real nourishment & fuel. Eventually, without even realizing it, I STOPPED craving all the processed & packaged foods I lived for just a few years ago. By virtue of having made the choice to change the way I eat, I trained my body to LOVE & CRAVE REAL FOOD & now, there’s no more training or actively choosing every single day. I don’t think twice. This is the way I eat & this is what my body wants. You can do it too. The first step is tough, but it’s so so so worth it!
So, back to this salad… here’s a little breakdown of what’s in it:
- Lima beans & kidney beans (PRO TIP: Buy them organic, whenever possible & go for the low-sodium/no salt added ones!)
- Chia seeds for healthy fatty acids & fibre
- Psyllium husks for added fibre
- Onion & garlic
- Cucumber for crunch & hydration
- Arugula for greens
- Organic unsweetened goji berries & cranberries for natural sweeteness
- Raw tigernuts for iron, potassium, magnesium & prebiotic fibre a.k.a. gut health
- A creamy-licious lemon tahini dressing!
HOW GOOD DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT NOW?
Before I tell you how to make it, I just want to talk about lima beans for a sec, because well… HEALTH BENEFITS, DUH!
- Detoxify the body of sulphites
- Boost energy
- Provide antioxidants to the body to fight oxidative stress, aging & disease-causing particles
- Full of folate & other B vitamins
- Very rich in fibre, promoting gut health, fullness & stabilizing blood sugar & cholesterol
- Rich in plant protein
- Full of iron
- A source of good carbs, providing fuel for the body & muscles
Okay, now that you know all those deets, let’s get to the nitty-gritty:
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 can organic no-salt added lima beans (or butter beans)
- 1 can organic no-salt added kidney beans
- 2 handfuls of arugula (or spinach)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. psyllium husks
- 1 small white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small cucumbers, diced
- 1/8 cup organic unsweetened goji berries
- 1/4 cup organic tigernuts
- 1/8 cup organic unsweetened dried cranberries
FOR THE DRESSING:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp. raw organic tahini
- 3 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. raw coconut vinegar (or add another tbsp. of apple cider, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar or water)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Water, as needed, to thin out (depending on the consistency of the tahini)
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare your dressing in a small bowl by whisking together all the ingredients until combined & incorporated. If you find the dressing too thick, simply add more liquid of your choice to thin it out until desired consistency is obtained.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, gently mix with a wooden spoon or spatula & ENJOY!