These burgers are LIT.
Every week, I try to make an effort to incorporate more plant-based foods into my diet. So here’s this week’s effort & let me tell you, YO’ GIRL BROUGHT IT.
These patties are EVERYTHING you’re looking for in a vegan burger. They’re crispy, crunchy, chunky, full of flavour & spice, heart, comforting & yes, EVEN “MEATY”.
They’re full of fibre, plant-based protein, enzymes, probiotics, B12, minerals, such as magnesium + iron, antioxidants, so easy to make & SO VERSATILE! Chop ‘em up into salads, make them the star of your Buddha bowl, add them to your fave gluten-free pita, bun or sprouted bread & make the burger of your dreams topped with avocado slices & Dijon mustard or simply dip ‘em in ketchup as is!
I didn’t just load them with black beans or chickpeas. I COMBINED BOTH FOR A LETHAL COMBINATION OF PLANT-BASED PROTEIN & FIBRE! How freaking awesome is that, right?
BTW, when you’re buying beans & any canned goods, in general, make sure to always go for the low-sodium or no salt added versions to cut back on sodium!
I also threw in some nutritional yeast & psyllium husks for B12, more protein, tons of fiber & gut health! The nutritional yeast also adds a deliciously cheesy & creamy texture & flavour to these babes, so yes, you’ll be fooled into thinking you’re eating a CHEESEBURGER (But without the cheese!).
I had one of these babes today in a vegan lunch bowl packed with tons of other veggies, kimchi & hummus & let me tell ya, IT TOOK ME TO PARADISE. I bet you want to know what that feels like too, right? SO LET’S GET RIGHT TO IT!
- 1 can organic no salt added black beans
- 1 can organic no salt added chickpeas
- 2 tbsp. psyllium husks
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. gluten-free oat flour (all-purpose gluten-free flour works too!)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. organic coconut vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the black beans & chickpeas to a bowl & mash with a potato masher or fork. Leave some chunks in there for a chunky, delicious burger.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl with the mashed beans. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Once combined, roll the batter into 10-12 patties, depending how big you want them.
- Place the patties on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until tops are browned & you can lift the patties easily off the baking sheet.