This tabbouleh is #GOALS!
- Bursting with flavour + nutrition, just the way I like it!
- Crispy, crunchy, fresh & also comforting!
- Full of greens!
- Simple, easy + quick to prepare!
But what on earth is amaranth? Isn’t tabbouleh traditionally made with bulgur wheat?
Yes, yes, it is.
But, I chose to make it with amaranth!
Here’s a little overview of what amaranth is: Amaranth is a gluten-free grain high in healthy fats, protein, fibre, magnesium, B complex vitamins, calcium, iron & phosphorus. It’s great for digestion, energy, bone health, fighting inflammation & lowering bad cholesterol & high blood sugar levels. It’s low glycemic & high in lysine, an amino acid important for cell growth, production of nutrients responsible for converting fat acids into energy & great for skin health.
Now, let’s just establish that amaranth isn’t the only super nutritious ingredient in this babe of a salad! I also loaded it with fresh greens + pine nuts & a delicious but plain + simple lemon & red wine vinegar dressing.
- 1 cup amaranth, cooked according to package directions
- 2 small cucumbers, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup organic pine nuts
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup organic red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper chilli flakes
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Cook the amaranth according to package directions.
- Once cooked, set the amaranth aside & let it cool
- Prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients, including the amaranth to a large bowl. Season with the red wine vinegar, lemon & spices & toss to coat.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container!