These babes are great for breaky on the go, pre or post-workout fuel, a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack or as a topping for your Greek yogurt or oatmeal bowl when you’ve got a little more time to make it fancy in the morning.
Everything from the ingredients to the prep is SO SIMPLE! All you need are raw pecans or any nut of your choice, almond flour, nut butter of your choice, ground coffee, maple syrup & vanilla! You can also throw in your fave protein or collagen powder for added nutrition, gut health & protein, but that’s totally optional!
They’re grain-free, vegan, naturally sweet, gluten, dairy & refined sugar-free & they’re the definition of texture goals. Literally. That first bite you take will take you to cloud 9. They’re moist, chewy & melt in your mouth delicious! They remind me of CARAMEL & COFFEE, BUT IN ONE SCRUMPTIOUS BALL! OH RIGHT… CAN WE DISCUSS HOW THEY CONTAIN COFFEE? Yes, coffee… reach for one when you need a little caffeine kick!
I usually load my protein bites & energy balls with gluten-free rolled oats, but this around, I wanted something that would remind me a bit more of cookie dough in term of texture. ALL HAIL THESE BABES!!!!
We doubled the batch because we wanted to freeze them to have them on hand for our on the go days, but if you rather make fresh batches every week or so, you can also cut the quantities in half! Whatever floats your boat!
INGREDIENTS (For 30 small/medium balls):
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (or any other nut of your choice: cashews, almonds or hazelnuts would work great too!)
- 1 + 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 cup organic almond butter (or any other nut or seed butter of your choice)
- 3 tbsp. ground espresso/coffee
- 1/2 cup pure organic maple syrup (add 1-2 tbsp. more for a sweeter ball!)
- 1.5 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- A few pinches of sea salt
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 scoops of your fave vegan protein powder OR collagen (but keep in mind that collagen means these babies are no longer vegan!)
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl & mix until combined & incorporated.
- Line a plate or baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Roll the babes into balls the size of your choice & place on the plate.
- Place in the freezer to firm up for at least 2 hours, or overnight & ENJOY!
- Store in the fridge for a softer texture or in the freezer for a more firm outside & to preserve freshness!
- ENJOY! 🙂