LET’S CHECKLIST THIS RECIPE, okay?
- Delicious ✅
- Creamy ✅
- Minimal ingredients ✅
- Easy ✅
- Butter & oil-free ✅
- Savoury ✅
- Cheesy without the cheese ✅
- Kid-friendly ✅
Not bad, right?
As a kid, I LOVED MASHED POTATOES, like LOVED. I remember when my mom used to make steak & baked potatoes, I would literally make my own concoction of mashed potatoes. There I was peeling away at them baked potatoes while everyone devoured them so I could make my own mash. Not to mention, I did load them with margarine #NOSHAME, but let’s just say that ten years later, I’m a little wiser & know more about what I put into my body!
ANYWHO, this recipe is a recreation of yet another childhood fave, only it contains NO DAIRY, NO OIL & NOTHING BAD! It’s super duper simple, yet full of flavour & you’ll fall in love with the cheesy flavour so much that you won’t even know there’s no butter in there!
Without further ado, let’s get right into it!
BTW, if sweet potatoes aren’t your thing or you don’t have any on hand, you can totally sub them for white russet potatoes. I’d use 4 or 5 to be safe, since they’re generally smaller than sweet potatoes.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, boiled, peeled & mashed
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 large tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened almond milk
- Sea salt + black pepper
- Add the potatoes to a stockpot & fill it with water. Make sure that the potatoes are soaked & covered in the water.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium-high & let cook until the potatoes are soft enough that you can stick a knife through them.
- Remove from the heat, drain, rinse & let cool.
- Once cooled, peel the potatoes. Add them to a large mixing bowl & season with the rest of the ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined.