The Benefits Of Getting Moving, Whatever Your “Moving” Is!
Happy Saturday babes!
It’s a beautiful day out & a perfect opportunity to get moving, release some endorphins, get fresh air & do your body some well-deserved good!
Here are some simple ways to get in your 30 minutes of movement today:
- Go for a walk, jog or run outside
- Take your kids to the park
- Bust out a resistance band & do a simple HIIT workout in the sun or at home (Follow a video on YouTube or make one up on your own!)
- Head to the gym for a workout class or cardio sesh with your honey or a friend
- Do some spring cleaning
- Walk or bike to your errands or appointments instead of driving
- Yoga or Pilates
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator in the mall or the elevator in your apartment complex
- Park farther at the grocery store, office or when running errands so you can get some extra minutes of walking in
Wanna know some of the benefits of getting your body moving daily? I know you do. And even if you don’t, HERE I GO.
Being active daily is one of the best things you can do for both your mental & physical health. The human body was not designed to sit all day & to live a sedentary lifestyle. In fact, rewind back to the paleo era where human beings lived a hunter-gatherer lifestyle. They had to literally work the land for nourishment! Nope, grocery stores WERE NOT a thing back then! And guess what? They survived & did so meant they suffered from less incidences of obesity, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, allergies, mental health issues & chronic stress.
Wanna hear a few things that are even more alarming?
- Only 20% of Americans get the recommended 150 minutes of strength & cardiovascular physical activity per week… WAIT, it gets better (or worse)…
- More than half of all baby boomers do no exercise whatsoever…
- 80.2 million Americans over the age of 6 are entirely INactive.
- People who live an almost entirely sedentary lifestyle have the highest rate of heart attack.
- An hour of walking daily can cut the risk of obesity by 24%.
- Less active & less physically fit people have a greater risk of developing high blood pressure.
- Physically active people are less likely to develop coronary heart disease than those who are inactive (EVEN AFTER accounting for smoking, alcohol & diet).
I’m sure it comes as no surprise to you guys that exercise boosts mood, helps control weight, boosts endorphins & energy levels, improves memory & sleep & lowers the risk of many life-threatening diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes & neurodegenerative disease.
I’m not saying you need to do strenuous exercise daily, because I totally know & acknowledge that NOT EVERYONE has the time for that & quite frankly, not everyone is as motivated to do that either. That’s totally fine. What isn’t? NOT MOVING AT ALL. Daily movement can be anything! In fact, it doesn’t even have to be you getting dressed up in workout gear & going to a workout class or to the gym. You just need to move your body. I mean, you don’t NEED to do it if you don’t want to… I’m not here to force you into any lifestyle habit you don’t wholeheartedly believe in. What I am here to do is motivate you & tell you WHY I encourage it.
- Keeps you younger than your actual age as it boosts the amount of oxygen you consume during & after exercise, which in turn boosts aerobic capacity & prolongs our lives. More oxygen to the cells means healthier cells & longer cell life spans & guess what? The longer your cells live, the longer you do!
- Increases oxygen intake capabilities, which increases circulatory function. Blood, lymph & intra-cellular fluids move about the body more efficiently. This not only means circulation is enhanced throughout he body, but also in your skin! More oxygen & nutrients from food will arrive at your skin cells & cellular waste will be more efficiently removed from your cells, which means it won’t be expelled through your skin. The result? GLOWY SKIN!
- Exercise boosts respiratory capacity & may help relieve the symptoms of asthma & boost lung strength.
- Boosts immunity & reduces infection.
- Boosts blood sugar control.
- Boosts heart health, raises HDL (good) cholesterol, lowers bad cholesterol & reduces inflammation in the body.
- Lowers stress & anxiety levels. Moving helps burn up the “fight or flight” hormones in a healthy way.
- Improves sleep.
- Prevents bone loss.
- Increases muscle strength, joint/tendon/ligament flexibility & balance in the body, mind & spirit.
- Boosts organ function & overall health.
- Reduces inflammation in the body & contributes to an overall lesser risk for disease.
- Regulates appetite, reduces cravings & promotes healthy digestion & a strong gut. When you feel good post-moving, you’re more likely to want to continue feeling that way & to continue to engage in healthy lifestyle practices.
- Boosts mood, concentration, focus, nervous system function & memory.
Are all these reasons enough to get you moving today? I hope so! If you guys are on the same page as me when it comes to the wonderful benefits of exercising daily, share how you like to engage in this lifestyle habit daily in the comments below! xx & HAPPY MOVING!