Vegan & Grain-Free Coconut Almond Flour Pecan Chocolate Chunk Cookies a.k.a. Am I Invited To That Party In Yo’ Mouth?!
It’s been a hot minute since I baked a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies! And let me tell ya, these babes are NO DISAPPOINTMENT! In fact, they’re the source of my happiness today! Yep, that’s how freaking DELISH they are! And yep, cookies make me happy. DON’T LIE. I KNOW THEY MAKE YOU HAPPY TOO.
They’re vegan, gluten-free, paleo-friendly, egg, grain, dairy & refined sugar free! They’re made with very simple & minimal ingredients & they’re also lower in sugar than most cookies! Most importantly… THEY WILL THROW A PARTAY IN YO MOUTH!
Usually, when I bake chocolate chip cookies, I go for things like oat flour & gluten-free rolled oats, but I’ve taken on a love (JK, an obsession) for the way coconut & almond flour bake & taste together! The coconut flour adds a slightly sweet, light, fluffy & airy texture, while the almond flour adds a crack & crumble, tastes nutty & adds the perfect amount of denseness to baked goods, without feeling heavy. You can imagine that together, they are a match made in heaven! (BTW, you + these cookies will also be a match made in freaking cookie heaven, juss’ sayin’!).
Instead of going for chocolate chips, I cracked up one of my fave vegan chocolate bars (the Dark sea salt by Alter Eco) & threw in a generous portion of raw organic unsalted pecans! You can feel free to change up your add-ins based on personal preference: any other form of chocolate chip or chunk will do, but I’d definitely add some nuts to the mix too to add more crumble & crunch (& to make these babies even more nutritious!).
ABOUT THEM PECANS… Did you guys know that pecans contain more than 19 vitamins + minerals, including vitamins A, B & E, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium & zinc. WHAT A POWERHOUSE, right? Just 1 oz. of pecans also provides 10% of your RDV of fibre, so pecans are actually great for keeping you full & satisfied, as well as promoting healthy digestion, blood sugar levels & healthy weight maintenance. They’re also super rich in antioxidants, which helps boost the body’s immunity, fight off free radicals & oxidative damage, fight the signs of aging in anything & everything from bones, joints, muscle tissue, skin, hair & nails & promote collagen production.
Cue useless rant. AND WELL CHOCOLATE IS CHOCOLATE. CHOCOLATE IS DELICIOUS. CHOCOLATE IS GOOD FOR YOU. CHOCOLATE IS LIFE. CHOCOLATE IS LOVE. I LOVE CHOCOLATE. End useless rant.
Oh & speaking of chocolate, I highly recommend warming these babes up in your microwave or toaster oven before enjoying them… the way the chocolate melts… ‘NUFF SAID.
Without further ado, let’s get to the recipe!
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 2/3 cup creamy almond butter
- Your fave vegan dark chocolate bar crumbled up
- 1/2 cup raw organic pecans, crumbled
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. pure organic maple syrup
- Add 1-2 more tbsp. for a sweeter cookie!
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl & mix until combined & incorporated. You will want to get your hands in there to make sure it’s well mixed.
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the batter into 12 cookie-shaped babes & place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, until browned on the outside & crumbly! You should see cracks at the tops. Don’t worry if they’re a bit soft when they come out of the oven. They’ll firm up as they cool. Don’t overbake them!
- Remove from the oven, let cool for about 10 minutes & ENJOY!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge to preserve optimal freshness.