This morning’s breaky was a CHOCOLATE QUINOA PORRIDGE! I know what you’re thinking: “Is this girl cray? Quinoa for breaky? Where on earth does she get tehse weird ideas?”. I feel you. Months ago, tell me you were having a bowl of quinoa for breaky & I probably would’ve laughed in your face & told you that you were weird.
BUT TODAY, QUINOA FOR BREAKY IS A THANG. Okay? Wanna know why? Because quinoa is SO good for you & such a great way to switch up traditional breakys like Greek yogurt, oats or chia pudding.
And wait, not only is quinoa super nutritious & a great way to incorporated more plant-based foods into your life, BUT THE WAY IT BLENDS WITH CACAO POWDER & PURE VANILLA… my goodness. You’d never even know you were eating a food that is most known as a savoury delicacy! I swear!
What’s so good about quinoa anyway?
- One most protein-rich foods!
- Contains almost 2x as much fiber as most other grains.
- Contains, iron, magnesium lysine, riboflavin, manganese
- Contains tons of antioxidants, which fight free radical damage, invading particles, aging & boost immunity
- Boosts metabolism
- GOOD FOR GUT HEALTH!
- Low on the glycemic index & helps regulate blood glucose levels
- Contributes to a healthy heart & strong bones
- Naturally gluten-free
So yes, this breaky will provide you with tons of those benefits & it’s filled with just the right balance of healthy fats, plant protein, easily digestible fibre & good carbs!
What’s great about this bowl is that you can have fun with it & spice it up (or rather, sweeten it) just how you like it! Fruit, cinnamon, vanilla, honey, maple syrup, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, coconut shreds, cacao nibs… THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS! I topped it with banana, berries, walnuts & dried cranberries & I can’t even put into words how much I enjoyed it! You’ll just have to try it for yourself.
I use sprouted quinoa to make sure it’s easier to digest, boost nutrient absorption & enhanced fibre, protein & vitamin + mineral content. Sprouting removes enzyme inhibitors & phytic acid, which allows food to pass more smoothly through the digestive tract & removes the possibility of bloating, cramps or indigestion.
All you need are a few ingredients, all of which are wholesome real foods, such as cacao powder, vanilla, plant-based milk, banana, sprouted quinoa + water! Then you top it with the add-ons of your choice & BAM! A breaky for champs is served!
- 1/2 cup organic sprouted quinoa
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla
- 2 heaping tsp. raw organic unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 banana, divided (1/2 mashed + 1/2 sliced)
- TOPPINGS: 1/2 slices banana, blueberries, raw organic crumbled walnuts + dried unsweetened cranberries & a splash more of plant-based milk
- Add the quinoa, milk, water & sea salt to a small skillet & bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, lower the heat & let simmer, stirring every now & then, until all the water is absorbed & quinoa is cooked through & fluffy.
- Remove the skillet from the heat & add the vanilla, cacao powder & mashed banana. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Portion out 2 bowls & top with desired toppings.