Mucho flavour. Mucho deliciousness. That’s the slogan for this recipe, okay? I’m taking y’all to Mexico with the flavours in here, seriously! You guys will be MINDBLOWN at how full of citrusy, spicy & delicious flavour there is in this simple & easy recipe!
Throw this chicken into lettuce wraps, tacos, tortillas, bowls, pita pockets, salads, chilli or eat it as is! I love it for meal prep because it’s something I never get sick of since I can eat it so many ways!
As you guys know, I do make a conscious effort to eat more plant-based foods simply because I really believe that they contain a lot of vitamins & minerals in larger quantities than their animal protein counterparts. BUT, that’s not to say that I don’t crave chicken or turkey sometimes & I don’t label myself as plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian or any of those titles! I like to listen to my body & eat based on how I feel & what I’m in the mood for. To read more about why I don’t label myself, check out this post: All About Why I’m Not Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Or Anything Free & How Healthy Living & Anorexia Recovery Can Co-Exist.
Before we get into the nitty-gritty, let’s talk about some of the benefits of lean ground chicken.
- Chicken is super high in protein & amino acids, which are the building blocks of our muscles & provide us with tons of other health benefits from increased energy, endurance, stamina, physical performance & collagen synthesis.
- Chicken is also rich in vitamins & minerals, such as B vitamins to boost immunity, prevent fatigue, regulate digestion & improve cognitive health. It also contains a good amount of vitamin D, which is crucial for calcium absorption & strengthening bones & vitamin A for healthy eyesight, iron for hemoglobin formation & carrying oxygen to our cells, muscle activity & preventing anemia. Lastly, it also contains potassium & sodium, vital electrolytes for healthy heart & blood pressure & phosphorus for bone health, brain function & metabolic issues.
- Chicken is also great for controlling blood pressure & reducing cholesterol & heart disease risk (contrary to red meat, such as beef & lamb, which are much higher in cholesterol).
- 1 pack extra lean ground chicken
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1.5 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. minced onion
- 1.5 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Chilli flakes for topping
- Add all of the ingredients (except the fresh cilantro) to a large skillet & toss to combine. Make sure to break the chicken apart & coat it in the spices.
- Heat the skillet over medium-high heat & stir continuously to cook the chicken, about 5-7 minutes.
- When the chicken is no longer pink & begins to look cooked through, lower heat to medium, add in cilantro & stir to cook for another 3-4 minutes, until cilantro is dark green + wilted and chicken is cooked.
- Remove from the heat, top with chilli flakes & ENJOY!