Okay, so before we get into this French toast sitch, I have a little anecdote for you guys. When we were younger, I remember waking up on Sunday mornings to the smell of my mom’s famous French toast. My siblings & I always used to always fight over who’d get the hottest slice that JUST got off the pan (I always woke up earliest, DUH, so I got pretty lucky in that department!).
Anywho, this french toast is my recreation of mom’s Sunday brunch, only now I’m a little older & a bit more conscious of what I put into my body so I amped it up a notch with healthier ingredients & dosed it up with collagen for beauty-boosting, gut-healing, muscle-strengthening & energy-enhancing perks! Nothing like good French toast with the ability to do all of that & still taste MARVELLOUS, right?
I added psyllium husks for added fibre, digestive health & to make it more filling & satisfying. Fibre is so important not only for gut health, but also for healthy weight maintenance, skin health, detoxification, heart health, fighting diabetes & maintaining healthy blood sugar levels in the body.
I also used sprouted toast, which means it preserves a higher nutrient, vitamin & mineral content than whole grains & refined flours, it’s easier to digest as the enzyme inhibitors have been removed & it also has a higher fibre content!
All this to say, this is a fibre-packed breakfast to boot! Seriously!!!!
This French toast is SO DAMN GOOD that you’ll want it for breakfast, lunch, snack & diner, ON REPEAT.
BTW, if you follow a gluten-free diet, you can simply switch the Ezekiel sprouted toast for your fave gluten-free bread! And, if you’re vegan, you can swap the collagen peptides for your fave vegan protein powder & you can also replace the egg with a flax or chia egg.
I topped my plate with frozen blueberries, raspberries, banana & coconut flower syrup, but you can totally have fun with the toppings & use your faves! Any nut or seed butter would also be delicious drizzled on top with some sprinkled hemp, chia, flax seeds or shredded coconut. You can also change up the fruit or swap the coconut flower syrup for your fave sweetener of choice: anything from honey to yacon to pure organic maple syrup would taste so so delicious! If you want to make this breaky a little more hearty, you can even top the French toast with some granola or some crumbled nuts!
INGREDIENTS (For 2 slices):
- 2 slices Ezekiel sprouted sesame toast (or gluten-free bread)
- 1 egg (or flax egg: add 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp. warm water to a small bowl & let it sit for about 5 minutes to gel up)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins collagen peptides (or vegan protein)
- 1/2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. psyllium husks (or swap it for hemp, chia or flax seeds)
- 3-4 tbsp. homemade vanilla coconut milk (or other plant-based milK).
- Start with 3 tbsp. & add more if the mixture is too thick.
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- TOPPINGS: Cinnamon, 1/2 banana, berries & coconut flower syrup (or maple syrup, honey, almond butter/PB or yacon syrup)
- Add the egg, collagen, cinnamon, psyllium husks, vanilla, coconut milk to a bowl & whisk until combined.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat & spray with coconut oil.
- Once heated, lower heat to medium & place a slice of bread in the bowl with the egg mix & coat it entirely on both sides.
- Place the bread in the skillet & cook on medium heat for about 3 min. on each side, until golden brown. Press down lightly with a spatula to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Top with fruit, syrup & toppings of choice & enjoy!