Whoever said savoury muffins weren’t a thing ain’t never met these babies! Filled with tons of crispy crunchy veggies, nutritional yeast & “cheesy” flavour, tons of smokey & flavourful spices & a dash of almond milk for added fluffiness, these muffin cups will take you to cloud 9 (No pun intended!).
They’re super easy & simple to make, loaded with protein, fibre, B12, antioxidants, vitamin C & tons of other essential vitamins & minerals! Pop ‘em in your mouth as is pre or post workout or serve them with Greek yogurt, kimchi, salsa, ketchup, mustard, sriracha or tzatziki & a side of roasted veggies or brown/wild rice! They also make for a great on the go breaky when you just don’t have the time!
What’s fun about these babes is that you can change them up to your liking but still stick to the base recipe! Throw in whatever veggies you like best, spice it up how you want & use Parmesan or mozzarella instead of nutritional yeast if you prefer. If you want to make them a little heartier, you can add some tofu or tempeh to the mix, which also adds some more protein!
They keep well in the fridge for about 4 days, but guess what? THEY’RE ALSO FREEZER-FRIENDLY. You can wrap them up individually in small containers, aluminum foil or plastic wrap & store them in the freezer for when you need breaky on the go! I would take them out of the freezer the night before, let them thaw in the fridge overnight & then warm them up in the morning before you hit the road for work or school!
Let me tell ya, you’ll be so glad you prepped these in advance when you choose them over the unhealthy breakfast you might’ve picked up on your way to work or school after being stuck in traffic for an hour!
You don’t only have to eat these for breaky BTW. Due to their high protein content & the fact that they’re filled with tons of nutritious veggies, you can pop them in yo’ mouth after a workout for some refuel to hold you off until lunch time or even as a snack mid-afternoon when you feel that bit of tiredness kicking in after a long day. All this to say, you can’t go wrong with having these babes ready & on hand for whenever the mood strikes you!
So to sum these babes up, they’re delicious, nutritious, healthy, light, airy & fluffy, full of protein & B12, perfectly browned & crispy on the outside, moist & chewy on the inside, baked not fried… basically, THEY’RE PERFECT!!!!!
INGREDIENTS (for 12):
- 2 cups organic egg whites
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (or cheese, if you prefer)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8-10 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. dried oregano flakes
- Black pepper + sea salt to taste
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- 3 green onions (diced) for topping
- Preheat the oven to 365F & spray a muffin tin with avocado oil cooking spray or use muffin liners.
- Add all the ingredients (except green onions) to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Evenly distribute the egg white mixture into the muffin cups, about 3/4 way through (don’t fill them to the top to prevent them from overflowing when baked!).
- Top with green onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 365F.
- Broil on low for 2-3 minutes until crispy & browned on the outside. Watch them closely so they don’t burn.
- Let the babes cool in the muffin tins for about 10 minutes before removing them so that they don’t risk falling apart.
- Remove from the muffin tins.
- Enjoy! 🙂
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate. Before serving, warm them in the oven or toaster oven (They might get soggy in the microwave).