Hey coconuts! <3
I don’t usually call you guys coconuts, but today, it’s fitting, given that we’re about to talk about my homemade vanilla bean coconut milk!
If you know, you know; I’m a LOVER of all things COCONUT & I cannot believe I waited this long to try making my own coconut milk! It’s so delicious & simple, which makes me even more excited to share it with you!
Coconut milk is another great plant-based alternative to dairy milk. The problem is the store bought one often contains added sugars, artificial sweeteners & preservatives. You can imagine how happy I was when I realized how easy it is to make my own! Making my own plant-based milks is a lifestyle habit I adopted months ago & I would seriously never go back! It’s simple, easy, requires minimal ingredients & you know exactly what goes into it! The fact that they contain no preservatives means that the nutrients & vitamins & minerals in the nuts/seeds/coconut/oats don’t get diluted by fillers & you’re actually getting the most nutrition out of them as possible!
I tried it first in my homemade vanilla cold brew & it was delicious! You can sweeten it how you like or don’t sweeten it at all! You can also add cacao powder &/or cinnamon to make it your own! Drink it as is or use it in coffee, oatmeal, recipes, soups or smoothies!
The benefits? Coconut is full of MCTs (medium-chain fatty acids) & lauric acid, which boost healthy cholesterol levels & lower LDL cholesterol, promoting heart health. The fats in coconut are burned by the body for fuel & energy as opposed to being stored as fat, which means it also boosts metabolism. It improves brain function, boosts immunity, promotes healthy digestion due to high fibre content & fights aging in the body due to its antioxidant content.
All you need for this recipe are 3 very simple ingredients: shredded coconut, water & a vanilla bean! You’ll also need a nut milk bag or clean dishcloth to strain out any leftover coconut chunks! And guess what? You can make your own homemade coconut flour with the leftovers, so literally nothing goes to waste!
- 2 cups organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 cups hot water (but not boiling!)
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded
- Heat the water until it’s hot, but not boiling.
- Add the coconut, hot water & vanilla bean seeds to your blender (& any other add-ins).
- Blend for about 2 minutes, until thick & creamy.
- Pour the milk through a dishcloth or nut milk back to remove any leftover pieces of coconut.
- Pour the strained milk into a mason jar & refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- To make coconut flour from the leftover shreds, simply place the shreds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place them in the oven (but don’t actually set your oven to bake – keep it off!) & let them dehydrate for a few hours or overnight. Once the shreds have dried up, place them in your blender or food processor until flour-like consistency is obtained.
And here’s what the coconut flour looks like: