Y’all know I absolutely ADORE my fruit & my Greek yogurt bowls are generally filled with berries & banana! But this morning, I wanted to try a little something different! I was headed to two intense workouts so I needed tons of energy & didn’t want to be faced with a sugar high & low so I opted for them greens & cucumber, antioxidants, algae, collagen & coconut butter! I sweetened it with just one organic Medjool date & OMG… the result was absolutely delicious! You’d never believe there’s no fruit in there!
It’s so creamy, hydrating, silky & smooth, rich, delicious, just the right amount of sweet & so satisfying without weighing me down or making me feel overly full. And let me tell you, I had TONS of energy!
I topped it with Granolust Triple Nut Crunch granola for carbs, healthy fats & crunch! So clean, real ingredients & DELISH! And guess what? Not only is it delicious, but I’m also killing two birds with one stone with it because a little tip I like to share is to ALWAYS top your smoothies with something you can chew. Digestion starts the second food enters your mouth & you begin to chew it, so it’s important to chew your smoothies to ensure absorption of nutrients & proper digestion.
Before I tell you guys how to make this babe of a smoothie (or you can just scroll down if you’re not D with reading all the deets… I’m not offended, no worries!), let’s talk a little more about a few of the main ingredients in it!
MARINE PHYTOPLANKTON: Marine phytoplankton is an aquatic micro-organism that is responsible for LITERALLY creating the Earth’s atmosphere & allowing life to flourish. It’s not actually a plant, but is rather a freshwater organism that contains nano-sized nutrient particles that are easily absorbed by the body & readily available for use at the cellular level. It’s vegan & very similar to spirulina & chlorella in terms of benefits, but it’s even more potent. Some of the health benefits of phytoplankton include:
- boosting cognitive function
- antiviral & antibacterial
- helping repair & renew cells: it does so by strengthening cell membranes & triggering the body to regenerate current cells & create new healthy ones.
- detoxifying the body: it has the same oxygenating & detoxifying effect on the body as it does on the ocean & is the best bioavailable source of SOD (superoxide dismutase), the body’s most powerful antioxidant enzyme that reduces oxidative damage & inflammation, as well as an effective heavy metal detox agent.
- antioxidants, which means it also has anti-cancer effects
- powerful anti-inflammatory
- boosts circulation
- lifts mood & boosts energy: studies have shown significant improvements in depression symptoms after regularly taking this supplement
- liver & immune system booster: phytoplankton is absorbed on a cellular level, which means the body does not rely on the digestive system or liver for processing. This may help restore liver health, without having an effect on the body’s detoxification pathways. Studies have also shown that when consuming phytoplankton, the amount of T cells is increased. T cells help eliminate virus & bacteria from the body, a.k.a. IMMUNITY.
- rich in amino acids, minerals & omega-3 fatty acids (EPA + DHA), which are all heart healthy. Omega fatty acids are crucial for heart health & the body does not have the ability to make them on its own, which is why we must consume enough of them!
- lastly, it has an alkaline pH & something that ALL living organisms & life forms on Earth depend on is maintaining appropriate pH levels. Diets high in refined sugars, processed & packaged foods & bad quality animal protein create a lot of acidity in the body & phytoplankton can be a great natural way to help restore the balance.
CUCUMBER: Cucumbers contain tons of B vitamins, including B1, B5 & B7 (biotin). B vitamins are known to boost energy, prevent chronic fatigue, ease anxiety & stress, boost cognitive strength & health & heal the skin. Cucumbers are also super rich in two of the most basic elements needed for healthy digestion & nutrient absorption: water & fibre! They’re great for the skin because they’re so naturally hydrating!
The flesh in particular is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C & folic acid, while the hard skin is rich in fibre & minerals, including magnesium & potassium. SO LEAVE THE SKIN ON! Cucumber also contains silica, a trace mineral that contributes to strengthening our body’s connective tissues int he skin, muscles, joints & tendons, as well as boosting collagen synthesis.
BEE POLLEN: To read all about the benefits of bee pollen, click here: What In The World Is Bee Pollen? Why It’s One of The World’s Most Nutritious Foods & BONUS RECIPE: KITK’s Glow-From-The-Inside-Out Chocolate Collagen Bee Pollen Bites!
DATES: Dates are one of my favourite forms of natural sweeteners & a way better alternative to refined sugars. They provide a good source of energy & fiber, making them great for the gut & super filling, as well as essential minerals such as: calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium & zinc. They also contain certain B vitamins, such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate & vitamin A & K, which makes them great for skin health, building strong bones & mental health & stability.
COCONUT BUTTER: Coconut butter is a great food for healthy weight maintenance & yes, even weight loss! The fat content is burned for fuel & energy as opposed to being stored in the body as fat. It helps boost immunity, fight infection & virus, prevents disease, boosts endurance & physical performance, contains tons of fibre, making it super filling & great for digestion, heals & boosts skin’s radiance & provides a good amount of iron.
How’s that for a morning smoothie?
Now, without further ado, here’s how to make it!!
- 1/2 cup homemade vanilla cinnamon cashew milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water (or more nut milk)
- 1 tsp. marine phytoplankton
- 1 huge handful fresh spinach
- 1 small cucumber (keep the peel on for more nutrients, electrolytes & fibre!)
- 1/2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Bee pollen
- 1 organic Medjool date, pitted
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp. raw organic coconut butter
- TOPPING: Granola of your choice!
- Add all the ingredients to your blender & blend until combined.
- Pour into a tall glass, top with granola & enjoy!