Last but most certainly not least on the mini meal prep menu this week post-travels is this LEMON DIJON PECAN & WALNUT CRUSTED OVEN-ROASTED SALMON! If you guys know me, you know I’m not the BIGGEST FAN of salmon (& I much prefer a fillet of white fish, such as cod or halibut), but when it’s crusted like this… I’m your #1 fan. All this to say, if you’re worried your kiddies, guests or hubby/wifey won’t love this dish if they’re not so much of a “salmon person”, worry not! I GOTCHU. They will fall in love.
This is an anti-inflammatory omega fatty acid-rich meal dream come true! It’s filled with tons of anti-inflammatory benefits that are great for the gut, skin & digestion! It’s also filled with vitamin C, antioxidants, minerals like zinc, iron & magnesium, as well as a good amount of fibre & protein! Let’s just say, it’s a complete meal! I’d pair it with a side of sprouted brown rice &/or quinoa or lentils & some grilled or roasted veggies!
Instead of breadcrumbs, I used a small portion of gluten-free rolled oats to help create the perfect crumbly crust & OH BABY! I don’t like to brag… but I nailed this one! It’s full of flavour & the perfect blend of crispy, crunchy & crumbly on the outside & moist, flaky & creamy on the inside! You’ll love it so much, you’ll wish you double batched it! Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Now, don’t get me started about how easy this is… I’m talking so damn easy that you could get home from school or work EXHAUSTED & still have the patience & courage to make this (If you’re lacking the courage, just motivate yourself by how delish it will taste & you’ll be slappin’ on that apron in no time!). No, but seriously, this din could be yours in 20 minutes.
You don’t believe me, right?
I know. I’d have trouble believing it too.
Here, let me explain, to make it a little more convincing! Plus, I’d hate to keep you salivating for too long… I mean, I’m NICE-ISH!
Okay, I’ll stop ranting. Leggo.
Oh but wait, just putting it out there that if you’re really not a salmon fan, this recipe would work great with any & all thicker fish fillets. You’ll want to use a thicker fillet so that it doesn’t break apart when you crust it pre-bake! You can also use different nuts than walnuts or pecans or combine one of the two with another nut of your choice, such as cashews, almonds or peanuts!
- 4 salmon fillets (skin on)
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp. organic avocado oil
- 4 tsp. organic raw Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. gluten-free rolled oats (or breadcrumbs/Panko)
- 2/3 cup crumbled walnuts & pecans (or other nuts of your choice)
- Juice of 2-3 lemons (depending how citrusy you like it)
- 1 heaping tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill (or other herb of your choice: cilantro, parsley, mint, chives, etc.)
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 360F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil & place the fillets (skin down) on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, pecans, lemon juice, garlic powder, dill, black pepper & sea salt & mix until combined.
- Once the crust mixture is ready, slather about 1 tsp. Dijon mustard on each salmon fillet, then press some of the crust mixture onto the top of the fillets (the Dijon basically acts as the glue to hold the crust in place).
- Once crusted, drizzle 1/2 to 1 tbsp. avocado oil on the fillets to ensure a crispy crumbly crust!
- Bake at 360F for 15 minutes.
- Broil on low (about 300F) for 2-3 minutes, until crust is perfectly browned & crumbly. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn!
- ENJOY! 🙂