VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE FIBRE-ENRICHED “CHESSY” MEATBALLS, anyone?
TBH, I don’t even know why I’m asking. The answer with these babies should always be YES.
Guys, I don’t even know where to begin with these babes, besides for telling you that I created a masterpiece today!
They’re LEGENDARY (but sans the dairy, get it?).
They’re also gluten-free, possibly vegan, breadcrumb-less, oil-free & absolutely scrumptiously delicious with just the right amount of crispy crumble on the outside & chewy on the inside.
They’re full of plant protein, fibre, good carbs, vitamins & minerals, antioxidants, B12, cheesy, smokey & nutty flavour, digestive health benefits thanks to the psyllium husks & tons of fresh herbs. The real question is, what don’t these babes contain?!
They’re simple, easy & quick to prep, no food processor necessary! They kind of remind me of the happy medium between a real deal meatball & falafel. I’m picturing them loaded in a gluten free pita bread or as a topping for a fully loaded plant-based bowl! YUM!!!!
The quinoa creates a texture that’s similar to meat… so much that my sis told me they tasted like a CHICKEN FINGER!!! That’s because I lightly pan-seared them to give them a nice crunchy roasted exterior that reminds me of an Italian meatball! LEGIT. They’re so delicious, you’ll forget there’s no meat in them!
What’s also great about these babies is that you can totally make a double batch & freeze them so you always have a healthy meal on hand for when the lazy days kick in! Otherwise, you can store them for up to a week & reheat them when you’re ready to devour them!
ALSO, if you have no quinoa on hand, I have a great feeling they’d work well with buckwheat or freekeh as well! If you do happen to try it that way, let me know in the comments below!
I also used psyllium husks instead of breadcrumbs but you can totally swap them out for gluten-free breadcrumbs or cut the portion in half & replace the other half with breadcrumbs so that you still get some of the added fibre!
Now, without further ado, here’s how to make them:
- 1 cup cooked (preferably, sprouted) quinoa
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup psyllium husks (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 egg
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- 1 heaping tbsp. organic Dijon mustard
- Coconut or avocado oil cooking spray
- Cook your quinoa according to package directions.
- While your quinoa is cooking, prep your other ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl & mix until fully combined. You’ll want to get your hands in there to make sure it’s well incorporated before rolling into meatballs.
- Roll the babes into meatballs of your desired size & place on a plate.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat & spray with cooking oil of choice. Once heated, lower heat to medium & gently add the meatballs to the skillet. Let cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes (watch closely so they don’t burn!), until charred, roasted & browned.
- Remove from the heat & enjoy!!!!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate for up to one week.