Whether you’re vegan or lactose intolerant or not, plant-based milk alternatives are a great way to get in a good dose of nutrients, plant-based protein & omega fatty acids that you wouldn’t otherwise get from dairy milk!
They’re super silky & creamy & since you make them in the comfort of your own home, you know exactly what goes into them & you can customize them to your liking! I always like to add in vanilla, Ceylon cinnamon & manuka honey! But you can really have fun with it: Medjool dates, maple syrup, sea salt & cacao powder are all great ideas!
Chia seeds are an amazing source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, fibre, iron, magnesium, zinc & calcium. They help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, protect the heart, strengthen bones, boost gut health, cleanse & detoxify the body, normalize blood sugar, increase energy & stamina & boost immunity.
It’s important that your chia seeds be ground to make blending easier & to prevent the milk from becoming jelly (like chia pudding)! And to make things even easier, if you’ve got the time, it’s better if you soak the chia seeds for at least 4 hours (& preferably 8!).
You guys know I’m all about homemade milks! I’ve ventured out from the nut milks (although I do adore them!) & I’ve tried all kinds of seed milks & even oat milk! Hemp, flax & now chia seeds, make for great plant-based milk solutions & are quicker & easier to make than nut milks if you don’t have the time!
I used black chia seeds by Prana Bio that contain added probiotics. These chia seeds are a great way to incorporate more probiotic-rich foods into your diet since they’re so simple & easy to incorporate into all recipes from Greek yogurt parfaits, to oatmeal to salads to buddha bowls to meatball & ground chicken/turkey recipes, etc. The possibilities are endless & they add a huge dose of health to your recipes without adding bulk!
This milk is simply delicious, luscious & absolutely positively silky & creamy! You’ll love it so much, you’ll want to drink it as is! But, I personally love it in almond milk lattes & would totally use it as an almond milk replacement for overnight oats!
Now, without further ado, here’s how to make it:
- 1/2 cup GROUND chia seeds
- 6 cups of filtered water
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp .Manuka honey OR 2 soaked Medjool dates
- IF YOU HAVE TIME: Soak your chia seeds for 8 hours. Otherwise, no worries – get right into it! You might just have to blend a bit longer.
- IF YOU’RE USING DATES: Soak your dates in warm water for about 5-10 minutes to make blending easier.
- Add the chia seeds & water to your blender & blend until silky, smooth & creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add your add-ins & blend again for about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into a glass jar & let sit for about 30 minutes before refrigerating to allow the foam to subside.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days. I always shake my mason jar before drinking it because homemade milks tend to gel up sometimes!