Vegan & Gluten-Free Matcha Chocolate Chip Energy Poppers a.k.a. Your Bite-Sized (Green) Dream Come True!
I’m so excited to share these vegan & gluten–free matcha chocolate chip energy poppers with you! You guys know I LOVE matcha, right? Well, now you know. I’m a huge fan of the Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen but I’m also supa-dupa into organic matcha powder, which I use to make matcha lattes all the time, but I also love to experiment with it in sweets & treats, whether they are baked or no-bake!
To be honest, these were going to be cookies. But… THE IMPATIENT SIDE OF KELLY IN THE KITCH JUST COULDN’T WAIT. It was the eve of Passover being OVER, which meant I could finally reunite with my oats, so you can imagine that waiting was pretty difficult. My oats & I are tight… and let’s just say that 8 days without ’em was hell.
In case you didn’t guess, these babes are loaded with oats & matcha, which means they’re full of plant protein, antioxidants, fibre, energy-boosting & chlorophyll for skin health, liver detoxification & vitamins & minerals!
The chocolate chips give these babies that sweet deliciousness & that cookie feeling that takes them from 100 to 200! Yes, I’m implying that these babies were ALREADY 100.
Listen, I don’t brag that much but these bite-sized babes are sure something I can brag about & feel good about doing!
They’re chewy on the inside but crumbly on the outside! And get this: I used a very small amount of maple syrup because I didn’t need more! I naturally sweetened these babies with mashed banana & OMG… HEAVENLY!
They’re great for an afternoon pick-me up, pre or post workout snack or even a midnight one & you can even whip ‘em up right when you want ‘em because they’re so simple & quick to whip up!
If you don’t just wanna eat them as is (& trust me, you’ll want to), you can also chop ’em up or keep ’em whole & add them as a topping on a bowl of overnight oats or Greek yogurt!
And get this… because they were actually going to be cookies, they’re also bake-friendly! All you gotta do is throw in some baking powder & you’re good to go!
Without further ado, here’s how to make ’em!
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup pure organic maple syrup
- 1/8 cup organic coconut oil or raw coconut butter
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla exract
- 1 tbsp. organic matcha powder
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
- 1 mashed banana
- A pinch of sea salt
- IF BAKING THEM: ADD 1/2 TSP. BAKING POWDER
- Add all ingredients (except chocolate chips) to a large mixing bowl & mix until fully combined & incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into 18-20 balls, depending how big or small you make them.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow them to firm up.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.