Ronald McDonald Who?: Oven-Baked Cajun-Spiced Healthy French Fries a.k.a. These Fries (& Any Fries) Over Guys, #AmIRight?
GUYS… oh my goodness!
These fries are all things crispy, crunchy, roasted & full of flavour on the outside & super moist & chewy on the inside!
They make for a great side dish & they’re so delicious, the whole family will love them! (YES, EVEN YOUR KIDS!).
The trick is to bake them with the skin on & to spritz them pre-bake with avocado oil to get them ultra crunchy!
They’re super easy & simple to make & a great alternative to the store-bought freezer fries that are full of partially hydrogenated oils, table salt, food colouring & preservatives.
Eat ‘em like you would french fries & feel good about it!
I’m sure you guys have noticed that I don’t eat as much white potato as I do sweet potato & that’s simply because I prefer the taste of sweet potato than white & it’s also lower on the glycemic index & contains more fiber. For this reason, blood glucose rises a little more gradually with sweet potatoes than with white potatoes.
BUT, that’s not to say that white potatoes don’t have their health benefits too! PLUS, I felt like this recipe just HAD to be done with white potatoes to really resemble REAL DEAL FRENCH FRIES! But, if you prefer you can totally do it with sweet potatoes!
Some of the health benefits of potatoes are:
- rich in vitamin C, niacin, antioxidants, B6, copper & manganese
- helps control blood sugar levels
- boosts energy production by the body
- resists the risk of heart attack & stroke
- reduces inflammation in the body
- cleanses the liver
- high in fibre
- low in sodium
- high in vitamin A
- prevents kidney stones
Now, without further ado, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
- 5-6 medium-sized while russet potatoes (or sweet potatoes), sliced into wedges
- 1 – 1.5 tsp. Sriracha
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper chilli flakes
- A few pinches of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the potato wedges to a large bowl & season with al the dressing ingredients. Toss with a wooden spoon or spatula to evenly coat.
- Place the potato wedges on the parchment-lined baking sheet & try not to pile them! Spray with avocado oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip & bake again for another 20 minutes.
- Broil on high for about a minute just to perfect the crisp!
- ENJOY! 🙂