So I’ve been knee-deep into sweet potatoes lately because that’s basically all there is to eat on Passover. NO JOKE I also don’t really eat matzah because of the potential digestive issues that I choose to prevent! Anywho, I’ve been having a lot of fun experimenting with sweet potatoes in savoury recipes, but because of their naturally sweet flavour, they actually make for a great substitute for flour or grains in baking recipes!
And so, there I was… BAKING… and not only was I baking, but I was baking with collagen! I used 3 heaping scoops of my favourite Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (the unflavoured ones) to dose these babes (the cookies) up with tons of gut-healing, skin-glowing, muscle-enhancing, energy-boosting collagen, protein & amino acids!
Guys, I have no idea where to begin, besides for telling you that THESE COOKIES ARE A CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE dream come true!
If I had to break down these cookies in just a few words (but Lord knows that’s a hard task for me), I’d say:
- Possibly vegan (if you sub the collagen for your fave vegan protein powder or almond flour)
- Flourless (unless of course, you opt for almond flour over collagen or protein powder)
- Naturally sweet
- Low sugar
- Chocolatey & indulgent
- Great for pre or post-workout
The way the chocolate chips melt & come together with the deliciously sweet mashed potatoes is HEAVENLY. The sweet potato makes these cookies TEXTURE GOALS & the chocolate chips add a creamy, indulgent, comforting touch… They taste like dessert & you’d never believe they’re healthy… but they are & you can feel good about eating ‘em!
What’s great is that these cookies are totally customizable!
- If you want to make them vegan, swap the collagen peptides for vegan protein & almond flour.
- If you want to make them nut-free, swap the almond butter for a nut-free alternative, such as, sunflower seed butter.
- You can also throw in your fave add-ins if you prefer them over the chocolate chips, such as walnuts, pecans, cranberries, shredded coconut or dried fruit, or a combination of any of those ingredients!
And now… DRUMROLL PELASE... witgout further ado, let me reveal how to make these babies YOURS! YES, ALL YOURS!
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 3 scoops Vital Proteins collagen peptides
- 1 tbsp. pure organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter
- 1 egg, whisked (or a flax or chia egg: 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed or chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp. warm water, mixed & let sit for 10 minutes until it gels up)
- 1/4 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Poke holes in the potatoes & & bake for 35-40 minutes or until sweet potato is soft.
- Alternatively, you can microwave them for 8-10 minutes.
- Let the potatoes cool once they are baked/microwaved.
- Peel the sweet potato away from skin & place in a bowl & mash until soft. Measure a 1-cup portion & add to a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the chocolate chips) to the mixing bowl.
- Once mixed, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to scoop batter & place on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until cooked through. Do not overcook! They will firm up when cooled.
- ENJOY! 🙂