Mommy’s Notorious Potato, Egg & Cumin Salad Version 2.0
Happy Passover eve & Happy Easter!
Every year on the eve of Passover, my mom was notorious for making us a potato & egg salad seasoned with loads of cumin! My sister & I decided to keep the tradition going this year & to prep it for my dad, only a little healthier! We swapped the white potato for sweet potato & kept everything else just the same!
This sweet potato & chopped egg salad makes for a great side dish or lunch. It’s delicious, nutritious, simple to make & filled with healthy fats, antioxidants, protein, good carbs & tons of flavour! And it’s Passover-friendly!
Sweet potatoes are a great way to incorporate some good carbs into your diet, without feeling heavy!
They also pack a hella punch when it comes to health benefits:
- calming & soothing on the digestive system due to their high fibre content (& prevent constipation & promotes a healthy gut)
- contain antibacterial & anti-fungal properties
- promote a healthy heart + respiratory system
- help detoxify the body of heavy metals
- help regulate blood sugar levels
- boostsimmunity due to antioxidants (beta-carotene) + vitamin C content
- boost collagen production & promotes healthy skin + hair
- maintain a healthy balance of water in the body & keeps it hydrated
- promote a healthy metabolism
- contain a good amount of vitamin D, which helps build strong bones
- boost energy levels
- naturally sweet
Eggs also pack a ton of health benefits:
- improve heart & cognitive health
- maintain healthy hormonal functional of the thyroid
- help promote healthy weight maintenance
- rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are super anti-inflammatory, promote a healthy heart & gut & boost skin, hair & nail healtth
- rich in protein & essential amino acids
- naturally contain vitamin D
- provide a sustained source of energy
- raise HDL cholesterol levels in the body
- protect bones
- 3 sweet potatoes, boiled until soft to the touch, but not mushy
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2-1 tbsp. organic extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 heaping tsp. ground cumin
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Boil your sweet potatoes until tender to the touch, but not mushy (You want them to hold their shape when you cube them).
- Boil your eggs.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add eggs & lower heat to medium.
- Boil for 10-11 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to peel, peel them & slice them into cubes. Chop up the eggs as well & add both ingredients to a large bowl.
- Add seasonings to the mixing bowl & mix until combined & incorporated.
- ENJOY! 🙂