K FOR P GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT SPONGE CAKE, anyone?
WHERE MY JEW CREW AT?
BTW, “K for P” is slang for KOSHER FOR PASSOVER! But hey, you don’t have to celebrate Passover to appreciate or indulge in this cake. HECK, YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE CELEBRATING AT ALL. That’s how clean it is – it’s a cake that’s delicious, healthy, nutritious & one you can feel good about & after eating!
As you can probably tell, I’m way too excited about this cake.Tell me I’m not the only one who gets excited when it comes to cake… Okay, maybe I’m the only one who gets THIS excited… But I mean, do you blame me… look at it!!!!
Not only is it absolutely gorgeously scrumptious & so damn delicious, but it’s also super quick, easy to prepare & made with minimal whole real food ingredients.
But wait, I’m not done. Texture-wise, it’s chewy, moist, scrumptious, airy, light & fluffy! The outside has just the right amount of crumble & the inside… OMG, A PARTY IN YOUR MOUTH!
Did you guys know that coconut flour packs a hell of a punch when it comes to fibre & is really low in sugar (low-glycemic too!) & carbs, making it a great baking alternative for those who are trying to cut back on carbs/sugar or simply just trying to change things up & live a healthier lifestyle? Now you know! It also adds a texture to baked goods that’s incomparable to any other flour out there!
I devoured a heaping slice (Yes, the one in the picture #noshame) drizzled with organic creamy almond butter & let me tell you that it was the perfect added touch! Drizzle yours with any nut butter of your choice, coconut butter, cinnamon &/or some crumbled nuts or any other topping of your choice!
The other ingredients in here are super simple & most likely things you already have on hand! I’m talking eggs, almond milk (or any other milk or plant-based milk of your choice), raw organic honey, pure vanilla, baking powder, nut butter (or other butter alternative to make it nut-free) & shredded coconut!
Without further ado, let’s get to the recipe!
- 8 egg whites OR 4 eggs
- 2 cups organic unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/2 cup raw organic honey
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup nut butter, coconut butter or vegan butter
- 1.5 cups organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- OPTIONAL ADD-INS: Cranberries, raisins or vegan dark chocolate chunks or chips!
- Preheat the oven to 350F & line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the egg whites (or eggs), milk, coconut flour, vanilla, honey, nut butter & baking powder & whisk until smooth & incorporated.
- Add in the coconut flakes & other optional toppings & stir again.
- Pour into loaf pan & bake for 50-60 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test (a.k.a. the toothpick comes out clean!).
- Allow the cake to cool before slicing.
- I personally like to pop mine in the fridge after letting it cool for about 20 minutes to make slicing easier.
- Top with almond butter & Ceylon cinnamon before serving.
- Enjoy! 🙂