Today, I whipped up an Everything In My Fridge Vegan Creamy Thyme & Veggie Blender Soup! And now, I’m sharing it with you so it’s an EVERYTHING IN YOUR FRIDGE SOUP!
If you don’t have all the same veggies that I used stocked in your fridge, worry not! You can change ’em up – they’re all getting boiled together anyway! The goal with this soup is to use up what you’ve got so that it doesn’t go to waste, hence, “everything in your fridge”.
I mean, what better way to use up some good ‘ol produce than a quick & easy one pot soup?! This one’s loaded with carrots, bell peppers, asparagus, celery, nutritional yeast, thyme & some other savoury anti-inflammatory spices.
It’s super easy to make, LIKE LEGIT… all you gotta do is boil the veggies, season them, let ‘em simmer, add them to your blender with tons of nutritional yeast & blend until your desired consistency is obtained! I swear, it’s THAT simple. And you will be left with the absolute creamiest soup EVAH!
Soups are great to have on hand because they make for excellent, nutritious & quick side dishes, but also for hearty & comforting meals if you top ’em with the right stuff (& I’ll give you guys some suggestions of what would pair well with this soup below!). You can’t go wrong with this one: it’s nutrient-dense, delicious, creamy, thick, cheesy AF, smooth & so rich, you’ll feel so satisfied but without feeling overly full!
And by cheesy, I don’t mean real cheese. I mean, it’s loaded with one of my favourite vegan ingredients: NUTRITIONAL YEAST! A delicious, creamy, thick & rich addition to any dish, but wait… IT’S ALSO SO BENEFICIAL FOR YOUR HEALTH, from your digestive health to providing your body with tons of sustained energy, iron, zinc, selenium, antioxidants, B complex vitamins (especially B12), a complete source of protein & essential amino acids, increased immunity, heart health & healthy blood sugar levels, this is a heck of an add-in! So yes, if you were wondering, this soup is cheesy, but it contains NO ACTUAL REAL CHEESE!!!!
I chose to top my bowl with dried organic unsweetened cranberries & more nutritional yeast. I love the way the cranberries mesh with the savoury flavours of the soup – it’s the perfect balance of sweet & savoury! BUT BE CAREFUL, when purchasing your dried cranberries, or any dried fruit for that matter, you want to make sure they are unsweetened & unsulphured. Remember, it’s fruit, so it’s already full of natural sugar & when it’s sulphured, it means that additives & preservatives have been included in the product to make it last longer & look prettier. Read your labels!
Now, without further ado, because I know I have you salivating, let’s get to the recipe!
- 8-10 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, sliced lengthwise
- 1 big stalk of asparagus, ends chopped
- 7 cups of water (or veggie broth)
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- A few pinches of cayenne
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- TOPPINGS: Cranberries, more nutritional yeast, raw pecans or walnuts, hemp or chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried or fresh herbs, etc.
- Add your veggies to a stockpot with 7 cups of water (or broth) & bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, reduce the heat to a simmer, season with the spices (except the nutritional yeast) & stir.
- Cover & let simmer for 20 minutes, until your veggies have softened.
- Once your veggies are soft, add them to your blender jug with the nutritional yeast (or use your handheld blender) & blend until combined, silky & smooth.
- Top with desired toppings & ENJOY! 🙂