Here’s one for the kiddies! I mean, a lot of my other recipes are kid-friendly & great alternatives to traditional boxed snacks you’d usually pack in your kids’ lunch boxes. BUT, THESE ARE EVEN MORE KID-FRIENDLY BECAUSE THEY’RE STAR-SHAPED & FILLED WITH YUMMY TREATS!
These HEALTHY-ISH sugar cookies are chewy, soft & pillowy on the inside & crumbly on the outside & just the right amount of sweet.
They’re filled with organic jelly beans & gummy worms (I use the ones by Surf Sweets),& are a great alternative to the store-bought ones because they contain no sprinkles (a.k.a. no food colouring or dyes) & you know exactly what goes into them from start to finish, which means your kiddies get to eat well & enjoy it too!
They’re quick & easy to make & legit taste like they’re from a bakery… I swear!
I used Melt Organics organic vegan butter instead of real deal butter & sweetened them with organic cane sugar. You can definitely swap the vegan butter for coconut oil or coconut butter & the organic cane sugar for coconut sugar.
Oh & don’t get me started about how the jelly beans & gummies caramelize! IT’S INSANE!
BTW, I did say these cookies were healthy-ish… I did make them with a 10-year old girl celebrating her birthday in mind, so don’t be expecting a recipe as healthy as my usual stuff! But, they’re still a great alternative to the store-bought sugar cookies laden with refined sugars, gums, fillers, preservatives, chemicals, additives, refined white flours & food colouring or dyes.
- 1 cup vegan butter (melted for 30secs.)
- 1.5 cups organic cane sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
- 1.5 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 1 package Surf Sweets organic jelly beans
- 1 package Surf Sweets organic sour gummy worms (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350F & line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together the sugar & butter until combined & fluffy.
- Add the egg whites & mix.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients & mix.
- If you’re using a cookie cutter, press the batter down onto a counter top or large piece of parchment paper & shape your cookies until you have no batter left. Otherwise, scoop the dough & shape it into a cookie & place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned & candy is caramelized!