This morning, I threw together a really quick & yummy avocado & chopped egg salad for my dad’s breaky. And at the sight of it (& how delicious it looked), I figured it would be a great idea to share it with you munchkins!
I know how annoying it can be sometimes to have to figure out healthy but quick breakfast or lunch ideas in the morning, especially when you’re waking up at 6:30AM & want nothing more than to get back into your comfy bed! That’s where this salad comes in! It can be ready in just under 10 minutes & even faster if you have the eggs meal prepped & already boiled in your fridge!
This egg salad is great for breaky, lunch, snack & even a really lazy dinner because it’s full of everything you need for a balanced meal: healthy fats, protein + fibre! All you need is some sprouted toast, a pita pocket, rice cakes or crackers to smother it on (& to get in your dose of good carbs) & BOOM… you’re good to go!
The trick is to boil your eggs but not overly so that they stay yolky! This helps add creaminess to the egg salad without having to add any mayo! I’ll let you guys in on my secret to the perfect boiled eggs in the instructions down below! Trust me… it’s a secret, BECAUSE I NAIL IT EVERY TIME. I don’t mean to brag, but like… try my eggs & you’ll understand!
Here’s how to make it & be out the door with a healthy breaky/lunch or snack in minutes!
BTW, the recipe yields a portion for one person – feel free to double or triple your quantities based on how many people you’re making it for! If you’re serving it up for brunch, I’d recommend at least quadrupling your quantities, especially if you’re going to use it as a dish & not individually portioning it!
- 2 boiled eggs
- 1/2 small avocado
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 green onions (sliced thinly)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Boil your eggs. I like to leave them pretty yolky because it makes the salad creamier! Here’s how I boil the perfect yolky egg every time:
- First, add water to a small stockpot & bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW (I usually keep my fire at a 3-4) & use a slotted spoon to drop the eggs into the water (this prevents them from cracking when they hit the boiling water).
- Let them simmer on medium for 8-9 minutes.
- Once boiled, remove from the heat, drain & run the eggs under cold water for a minute or so. This’s tops the cooking process & makes them easier to peel.
- ENJOY YOUR EGG THE KITK WAY!
- Mash the eggs & avocado & season with the spices, greens & seasonings. Mix until eggs & avocado are evenly coated.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate for up to 2 days for optimal freshness!!