Who needs meatballs when you can have VEGAN BROCCOLI POPPERS?!
Looks like a meatball to moi & tastes EVEN BETTER!
All you need are a few simple ingredients, your food processor & just under 25 minutes! Yep, you read right, they only take 25 minutes to make from start to finish! So you can meal prep them but you can also whip them up for a quick lunch or dinner & you won’t have to be in the kitchen for an hour or two salivating at the sight of your next meal!
And trust me when I say that these poppers are so good, you legit won’t be able to pop just one!
They’re loaded with nutritional yeast & almond flour so they’re super hearty & nutritious! Filled with protein & healthy fats, they’re low-carb, sugar-free, grain-free, gluten-free, vegan & simply DELICIOUS & FLAVOURFUL FOR DAYS!!
You can use them as you would any meatball: in soups, pasta dishes, pita pockets, wraps, bowls or in salads or simply pop them as is with just some Dijon, hummus or ketchup! You can also use them as a side dish for added protein!
Now, why on earth did I choose to make these with broccoli? Like… am I all there? Yes, yes, I am. I chose to make ’em with broccoli because I freaking love broccoli (but also because I already have a recipe for zucchini meatballs & fritters & I wanted to change things up a bit… PLUS TBH, I HAVE NO MORE ZUCCHINI IN MY FRIDGE ANYWAY).
But anywho, while we’re at it, let’s talk about some of the benefits of the ingredients in these babies (plus, it’ll give you a hint about how much better your life is about to become).
BROCCOLI contains tons of powerful antioxidants & is super high in beta-carotene. It also contains tons of calcium; in fact, it contains more calcium than dairy! It’s also detoxifier that helps remove free radicals & fight oxidative stress in the body & helps regulate blood sugar & blood pressure.
ALMOND FLOUR helps regulate cholesterol & blood pressure, boosts energy, provides a good dose of calcium & fibre, contains tons of vitamin A & a good amount of plant-protein (a 1/4 cup serving contains about 8g of vegan protein) & it’s also super high in antioxidants.
NUTRITIONAL YEAST is a vegan source of vitamin B12 (a vitamin, which many vegans & vegetarians are lacking as it is found mostly in red meats & fatty fish), contains 18 amino acids & is a complete protein, helps boost immunity, acts as an antioxidant & fights free radicals & contains a huge array of minerals that help with focus, concentration & increased energy levels.
CAYENNE PEPPER boosts metabolism, improves high blood pressure, has anti-fungal & anti-inflammatory properties & stimulates circulation, which helps promote detoxification & healthy digestion.
Now that I’ve teased you with some of the deliciousness in these babies, let’s talk about what else is in ’em & how to make ’em!
- 2 heads broccoli, florets only
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- 1 heaping tbsp. yellow mustard or Dijon
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- A few pinches of cayenne
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the broccoli florets to the bowl of your food processor & pulse until rice-like consistency is attained.
- Add the broccoli rice & all other ingredients go a bowl & mix until fully combined & incorporated. You should be able to roll the mix into a ball without it falling apart or scoop with an ice cream scooper!
- Scoop the mix into 12 balls & place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until browned & crispy on the outside.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate!
- For best results: Reheat them in your toaster oven or oven as opposed to your microwave to prevent them from getting soggy.