Today, I whipped up a batch of vanilla almond espresso energy bites & yes, the title says it all: they are basically your cup of coffee in bite-sized form! AND YOU WANT & NEED THEM IN YOUR LIFE!
What if I told you that you could get plant protein, fibre, healthy anti-inflammatory fats, natural sweetness, antioxidants & your late-afternoon caffeine fix in these babies? Guess what? You can!
These babes are loaded with oats, flaxseeds, almond butter, vanilla, raw organic creamed honey, espresso & a bit of cacao nibs to complement the nutty taste of the espresso! YUM!
They’re chewy, with just a little bit of crumble, super satisfying, not too sweet & just the right amount of energy-boosting to give you the fuel to pick yourself up off your feet when that mid-day energy slump hits, after a long day at work or school to hold you off until dinner time or right before you hit the gym!
They’re possibly vegan (with just one swap!!), gluten-free, refined sugar & dairy-free, naturally sweet & absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS!
BTW, since the ingredients list is so simple & easy to prepare, you can literally just use it as a base & sub some of the ingredients for your faves, for example: if you’re not down with espresso, you can make these collagen balls or adaptogen balls & add in your fave collagen powder, ashwagandha, reishi, chaga, cordyceps, maca, etc. If you’re not down with flax or chia seeds, you can throw in pumpkin seeds or sunflower/sesame seeds for a more savoury bite! And if cacao nibs aren’t your jam or you need the real deal chocolate chip? DO IT.
Basically, these balls are also versatile AF. Okay… that sounded a bit wrong, BUT YOU CATCH MY DRIFT, right? Anywho, now without further ado, let’s get to the recipe!
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup organic creamed honey (or swap for coconut flower syrup or maple syrup, if you prefer or if you’re vegan)
- 1/2 tbsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. espresso powder
- 2 tbsp. flax or chia seeds (ground)
- 1 heaping tbsp. raw organic cacao nibs (or vegan chocolate chips!)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Simply add all your ingredients to a large bowl & mix with a wooden spoon until fully combined & incorporated. The almond butter should be fully incorporated with the oats & oats should no longer be crumbly.
- Roll the mixture into balls & place on a plate. Make sure to use your hands to compress them tight so that they hold their rounded shape.
- Chill the babes in the fridge for at least an hour & then store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer, according to preference!
- ENJOY! 🙂