Egg White, Spinach, Kale & Tomato Smokey Frittata a.k.a. 15-Minute Lunch Goals? YAS!
Today for lunch, I was feeling something warm & hearty, a nice change-up from my fresh crispy crunchy bowls! I mean, don’t get me wrong, I still love me a good bowl, but today I was feeling something a little more comforting!
What started out as an attempt to make an omelette turned into a frittata (simply because it looked too pretty to fold over) & then…. I tried to lift the frittata out of the skillet & BAM, DESTROYED. But hey… it still tasted super delicious & actually kinda looks pretty when it’s messed up, no? Oh well, I think so anyway!
Here’s a quick & easy lunch idea that’s full of protein, fibre, greens, vitamins C, K, E & A, antioxidants & minerals, such as iron, calcium, magnesium, folate, B complex vitamins, plant protein & phosphorus! STATS ON FLEEK, AmIRight?
The secret to a good frittata? Swivelling your pan around to make sure all the egg whites get evenly distributed & cooked through! Ideally, you want the excess liquid to seep onto the sides & as it cooks, the sides begin to lift & crisp up!
Also, there’s something about the taste of braised cherry tomatoes that makes me OOOOOH-AHHHH… tell me you feel me! It’s like that crisp roasted flavour, you know?
OKAY, I’m done ranting & raving about this frittata. Actually wait, no I’m not. I didn’t even get to tell you guys how simple, YET SO DELICIOUS, it is! It’s all about two spices & the way they mesh SO WELL together. I’m talking smoked paprika & garlic powder. AND YES, YOUR PAPRIKA SHOULD PREFERABLY BE SMOKED! It really does make a difference!
Now, without further ado… now that you know all about how delicious it is, how easy it is & how well the flavours come together, let’s talk ingredients & then of course, how to make it!
- 1 heaping handful of spinach
- 1 heaping handful of kale
- 2 heaping handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- 3 egg whites
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Spray a small skillet with avocado oil cooking spray & heat over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add spinach, kale & cherry tomatoes & sauté for about 3-5 minutes, until spinach begins to turn dark green & tomatoes start to wilt.
- Lower the heat to medium. Pour in your egg whites, sprinkle the spices & cook over medium heat for about 7-10 minutes. Swivel your pan around every now & then to distribute liquid egg whites around the circumference of the pan.
- You’ll know it’s ready when the sides begin to brown & crisp up & there’s no leftover liquid.
- Remove from the heat & gently lift it out of the skillet with a spatula (or destroy it like I did) & ENJOY!