Vegan Raw Vanilla Apricot Walnut Bars a.k.a. A Nut & Fruit Bar That You Can Feel Good About Devouring!
This weekend, as I was meal prepping, I realized it had been a hot minute since I’d whipped up a raw bar! I’ve been all about raw energy bites & protein balls & I really am obsessed with them TBH. But, I was feeling a good bar that would remind me of something like an RX Bar, Roo Bar or Go Macro bar in terms of texture! That’s how I got to whipping up these raw vanilla apricot walnut bars!
There are only a few bars that I eat out of a package simply cause it’s so hard to find brands that go the extra mile to use clean, simple & minimal ingredients. That’s why when I have time, I like to make my own!
These vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free & perfectly-textured delicious nut & fruit bars are definitely going to be a staple in my kitch! All you need is 15 minutes, a food processor & a loaf pan.
They’re naturally sweet, chewy, satisfying, full of fibre, antioxidants, potassium, healthy fats, protein & vanilla deliciousness with a tad of coconut!
They’re super meal-prep friendly: they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge & even longer in the freezer! You can also freeze 1/2 & refrigerate the other & when hunger strikes, you’ll always have some clean raw bars on hand!
BTW, you can customize them to your liking! Use any other nut &/or swap the apricots for raisins or dates! I think almonds, cashews, pecans or peanuts would work best!
The dough or batter or whatever you wanna call it will definitely be a little sticky because the walnuts will release their natural oils when you pulse everything in the food processor! Worry not, it’s normal! If you wish, you can pat the mix down with a paper towel if you wish to absorb some excess oils or you can simply freeze it as is & you should have no issue with it once it firms up!
BTW, I used apricots instead of dates because of all their health benefits (that’s not to say that dates aren’t healthy), but apricots are super rich in potassium, which is a huge plus. Potassium is crucial for maintaining healthy electrolyte levels in the body, which is specially important for me because of how often I exercise. It’s also great for maintaining healthy blood pressure levels & a healthy heart! Apricots are also super high in vitamin C & antioxidants, making them beneficial for immunity, gut health & skin glowing benefits!
Now, without further ado, let’s get into the recipe!
OH WAIT… in case you are wondering, YES, I nailed the texture. I nailed it so hard that it’s even better than a Go Macro Bar… & that’s saying a lot because I LOVE MY GO MACRO BARS!!!
Ok, now the recipe…
- 1.5 cups raw walnuts (or other nuts of choice)
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 20 dried apricots
- 1.5 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened shredded organic coconut
- 1 tbsp. creamy almond butter
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place the ingredients in your food processor & pulse until mixture forms a clump & ingredients are combined. It’s ok if there are some leftover nut chunks! It adds crumble. You’ll know it’s ready when it’s sticky & you can squeeze a small handful together.
- Press the mix into the baking pan, making sure to fill the corners. Pat it dry with a paper towel to absorb any excess oils, if you wish!
- Freeze for at least 2 hours to allow to firm.
- Once firm, cut the bars into the shape of your choice.
- Wrap the bars in wax paper or store them in an airtight container & freeze or refrigerate.