LOVE ME A GOOD CABBAGE SLAW!
With spring in the air (or well… somewhat – you see the thing is, when you live in Montreal, Mother Nature has this way of teasing you with the weather conditions. Suddenly, mid-March, we get a week that feels like Spring. We go out in T-shirts, leggings & we ditch the boots, but then… winter strikes again & we’re back where we are today, CUE: RANT OVER), I’ve been feeling salads, veggies, crispy, crunchy freshness & tons of colour when it comes to my food! That’s where this slaw comes in, ya know… in case you were wondering!
It’s simple, fresh, easy, raw, crispy, crunchy, full of flavour, DELISH, versatile & full of antioxidants!
You can also use it in so many different ways: as a topping for tacos, lettuce wraps, bowls, throw it into salads, wraps, sandwiches or eat it as is! You can also make it the base for a Buddha bowl, poké bowl or salad & top it with some grilled salmon, shrimp, chicken or beef! All this to say,
Most store-bought cabbage slaw contains some form of added or refined sugar & the seasoning often contains mayo. Check your labels next time you’re at the grocery store if I just sparked your curiosity! This one is free of both! It’s sweetened with raw organic honey to keep things low glycemic, contains absolutely ZERO mayo (which means it’s also egg-free & vegan!) & is great for the gut!
Cabbage is full of vitamin K, C & B6 & a great source of fibre, potassium & folate. It’s detoxifying, boosts immunity, relieves gut issues, anti-bacterial & anti-viral, improves blood flow & helps boost endocrine health. Basically, you want cabbage in your life, not only because it’s super refreshing & crunchy, but also because it’ll heal you from the inside out!
So, how do you put together this dish? Let me explain! BTW, in case you didn’t get the memo, it’s completely raw, so you don’t need to preheat your oven or heat a skillet! Just throw all this freshness into a bowl, prepare the dressing, pour it in & mix!
- 1 head of purple or green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup cilantro (or parsley)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 small bell peppers, cubed
- 1/3 cup organic coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. raw organic honey
- 1 tbsp. gluten-free sugar & sodium free rice vinegar (Whenever possible, go for the unseasoned one!)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Sriracha or 1/4 tsp. chilli flakes
- Add all your veggies to a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare your dressing in a small bowl & whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad & toss until all veggies are coated.
- Enjoy! 🤤
- P.S. It tastes even better a day or two later once the cabbage has absorbed all the delicious flavours in the fridge!
And that close-up BECAUSE IT’S JUST TOO PRETTY!