Last night, I got home from my double workout super hungry, like starving & needed to whip up something quick & easy but that would be filling enough to give me that post-workout refuel.
A salad only fills me up & satisfies me if it’s loaded with ALL the goods: greens, crunchy veggies, a mix of plant-based protein &/or another source of protein, some good carbs, healthy fats & a simple & easy (but nutritious) dressing!
This one legit took 5 minutes to whip up!
Here’s what I threw in:
- Cooked whole-grain quinoa
- A boiled egg
- Cherry tomatoes
- Roasted Asian teriyaki style eggplant (on my feed)
- Slivered raw organic almonds
- And for the dressing: Raw apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper, dried herbs, garlic powder & a pinch of cayenne!
So there you have it, in this rainbow of a bowl… I’ve got my greens, my plant-based protein, my boiled egg, some natural sweetness & crunch from the pomegranate, cucumber, radish & cherry tomatoes for freshness, vitamin A, hydration & antioxidants, roasted crispy eggplant for fibre & tons of added flavour & spice & almonds for vitamin E, antioxidants & healthy fats!
The dressing is also super nutritious & delicious! I like to use apple cider as a base for my dressing because of all its benefits from balancing my body’s pH level, boosting immunity & energy, fighting inflammation, promoting skin health, maintaining healthy blood pressure & blood sugar levels, lowering bad cholesterol & relieving certain gastrointestinal symptoms.
All this to say… THIS BABE OF A SALAD FILLED ME UP!!!!!
FOR THE SALAD:
- A huge handful of spinach
- A huge handful of kale
- A sprinkle of fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup cooked whole-grain quinoa
- 1 boiled egg, sliced
- Fresh pomegranate
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- My Crispy Asian Teriyaki-Style Roasted Eggplant a.k.a. Cleaner Is Better (& Just As Delicious!) OH & I Never Met A Crispy Veg I Didn’t Like!
- 2-3 radish, sliced
- 1 tbsp. raw organic sliced almonds
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. organic balsamic vinegar
- The juice of one fresh lemon
- Spices: sea salt, black pepper, dried herbs, garlic powder & a pinch of cayenne
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl (except the almonds).
- Season the salad directly in the bowl with all the dressing ingredients & spices (except the dried herbs) & toss to coat all the veggies in the dressing.
- Once the salad is seasoned, add it to a bowl & top with the sliced almonds.
- ENJOY! 🙂