Let me just start off by saying that this is my favourite roasted eggplant recipe I have ever made (& I’ve made quite a few!).
Guys… you know when you successfully perfectly roast a veggie so well that it become crispy & caramelized? YES YES. These. These eggplant slices are exactly that!
Plus, you get all that flavour of teriyaki & Asian deliciousness with WAY LESS sodium (hello coconut aminos!!!!!), no MSG, no refined sugars or sweeteners, no fillers & no chemical ingredients you can’t pronounce. Just real food!!!!
I challenge you to read the label of any teriyaki sauce you may have in your pantries (or next time you’re at the grocery store) & I can almost guarantee that the 2nd or 3rd ingredient on that list will be sugar (a.k.a. white refined sugar) or brown sugar. Keep in mind that a rule of thumb is that the ingredients on a label are always written out in descending order. So yes, if sugar is listed as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient on a list of approximately 10 ingredients, you can bet your life on it that there is TONS of sugar in there… & TBH, it’s quite useless. The version I recreated is a lot cleaner & contains no sugar whatsoever. And trust me, you don’t need it! The natural sweetness of the coconut aminos does the trick!
I seasoned them with very few ingredients, but the way the flavours come together makes them taste ABSOLUTELY HEAVENLY! I mean, I don’t know about you but I never met a crispy veggie I didn’t like! The trick to getting them crispy is to roast them at high temperature & then to broil them once they’re roasted just to perfect that charr & crisp!
Without further ado, here’s how to make this deliciousness come to life in your kitch!
- 1 large eggplant, halved & sliced
- 1/2 cup organic coconut aminos
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F & line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the eggplant to a large bowl & season with all the marinade ingredients.
- Toss with a wooden spoon to coat the slices in the seasoning.
- Place your eggplant slices on the baking sheets & make sure not to pile them!
- Roast at 400F for 30 minutes.
- Once roasted, broil on high for 2 minutes, but watch closely!
- ENJOY! 🙂