VEGAN RED LENTIL BAKED MEATBALLS… THESE BABES ARE LIT!
You guys know I have a love for all things plant-based & meal prep usually includes at least one main dish that’s vegan & comes from nature! I actually wrote a whole blog post all about the main plant-based protein sources that I eat & obviously, explaining all their benefits! You guys can check it out here: It’s 2017: Let’s Plant-Based-Protein-It-Up! Ya Dig? (No Pun Intended!)
The great part about these? THEY ARE SO “MEATY”, you’ll fool everyone, including yourself! They’re crispy on the outside & tender on the inside & so DELISH!!!!
Throw them into bowls or salads, pita pockets as you would falafel, spaghetti or pasta dishes or pop ‘em as is! They’re great with Dijon, ketchup, mustard, pesto, hummus, tahini, sriracha, chunky tomato or marinara sauce or Greek yogurt!
BONUS: I swapped the breadcrumbs for psyllium husks, a plant-based source of fibre that boosts digestive health, lowers cholesterol, balances blood sugar level, promotes heart health & healthy weight maintenance & relieves gastrointestinal symptoms & disorders.
SPEAKING OF DIGESTION… I also threw some fennel seeds in there! Fennel seeds are great for helping with indigestion, gastrointestinal health issues, such as IBS, bloating & constipation due to their volatile oil content. They have antispasmodic & anti-inflammatory properties!
Oh but wait, why red lentils?!
- Lower cholesterol (they reduce blood cholesterol due to their high levels of soluble fibre)
- Promote heart health
- Boost digestive health
- Stabilize blood sugar
- Provide a good source of plant-based protein
- Boost energy & metabolism
- Help prevent muscle degeneration
- Contain lots of iron & folic acid
- Improve electrolyte activity
- Promote healthy weight maintenance
Now, without further ado, let’s discuss how to make these babies! I mean, they really are babies… LOOK HOW DAMN CUTE THEY ARE!!!!
- 2 cups cooked organic red lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. ground flax mixed with 1/3 cup warm water (your flax egg)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup psyllium husks (or breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- Cook your lentils according to package directions.
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor & pulse to combine. Don’t worry if you’ve got a few leftover lentils!
- The batter should hold together when formed into a ball (if not, add more husks/breadcrumbs until desired texture is reached).
- Form the mixture into 15 balls. Place them on the baking sheet & bake for 25 minutes.
- Once baked, broil on high for 2 minutes, but watch closely! The meatballs should be slightly browned on the outside & tender on the inside!
- ENJOY! 🙂