Crispy Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma a.k.a. Sha(warma)ddup, You Obvi Love Shawarma!
Happy Monday! Let me just start off by saying that all of this week’s meal prep recipes are delicious, BUT THIS ONE STEALS THE SHOW!!!! Big. Freaking. Time.
I never thought I could actually recreate shawarma. I mean, it goes around on a spit for hours on end, sometimes even a full day! You can imagine that re-creating shawarma in my kitch didn’t seem so possible. So I basically embarked on this challenge of a recipe with very low hopes, but tons of shawarma dreams! And guess what? Sometimes, it pays off to have low expectations because OHMAHGOODNESS. I killed it. I hate to brag, but I killed it.
Guys!!!! I can not contain my excitement about this OVEN-ROASTED CHICKEN SHAWARMA! I literally grew up with this dish & absolutely LOVED IT! I was always so excited when my parents told us we were going out for Israeli food! So today, I recreated a childhood memory, but a healthier & super easy version! And I
This shawarma is where it’s at. It’s money. It’s lit. It’s fire. It’s crispy on the outside & so tender on the inside! The trick? ROAST IT AT A HIGH TEMPERATURE (like 425F high!) & then BROIL IT so that it crisps up! And guess what? It doesn’t have to sit on a spit all day long (even though I really thought it did!).
The flavours of the spices are to die for & it will legit melt in your mouth! It’s also a bit spicy from the red pepper flakes, but you can totally omit them if you want to keep it more mild!
All you need is a warm pita wrap & a side of hummus or garlic sauce & tabbouleh & you’re basically in Israel… but in the comfort of your own home! It’s so good… you could even just munch on it as is!
And yes, in case you’re wondering… it beats take out!!! (& I speak from experience!). Because not only is it SO damn good, but you’ll feel just as good after eating it because you’ll know exactly all the clean ingredients that went into it, why they went into it & why they’ll benefit you!
The reason why this recipe is so damn good & flavourful is the SPICES! A lil’ bit of spice ain’t never hurt nobody, right? I know. A lot of the spices in here are actually super anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial & detoxifying, such as: turmeric, cumin & Ceylon cinnamon, which makes this dish not only delicious, but it will also make your body super duper happy!
BTW, if you guys want to make a homemade hummus to have with this deliciousness, here are some
- 6 chicken breast, sliced into strips or cubes
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- A few pinches of cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- A few pinches of cayenne
- Juice from 2-3 lemons (depending how big they are)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper chilli flakes (cut it to 1/4 tsp. if you don’t want it to be too spicy)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Cut up your chicken into strips or cubes.
- Preheat your oven to 425F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the chicken to a bowl & season with all the marinade ingredients. Toss until the chicken is fully coated.
- If you wish, you can cover it with plastic wrap & refrigerate it for about 30 minutes to an hour so that it marinates. The longer it marinates, the more flavour! But, if you don’t have time, you can bake it right away (I did & it came out perfectly!).
- Place the coated chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure not to pile them.
- Bake in the oven until the chicken is crispy & browned on the edges, for anywhere between 40-45 minutes.
- To crisp the chicken up: Once baked, broil on high for 3 minutes, but watch closely! it has the potential to burn quickly, depending on the size/thickness of your chicken strips/cubes!
- ENJOY! 🙂
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.
AND HERE’S SOME INSPO FOR A HEALTHY SHAWARMA PITA: All you need? A gluten-free brown rice wrap, my homemade roasted shawarma chicken, fresh cilantro, organic tahini, cherry tomatoes, sea salt & black pepper! Wrap it up, slice it & enjoy!