Vegan & Gluten-Free Creamy Avocado Mac & “Cheese” With Protein-Rich Chickpea Macaroni a.k.a. The Creamiest, Dreamiest, Greenest, Most DELICIOUS Mac & Avo Ever!
I’m severely obsessed with cheese. I mean… who isn’t? But, I’d choose this mac & cheese over the real deal ANY TIME, ANY WHERE, ANY DAY & ANY PLACE, a.k.a. it’s EVEN better.
The creamy, buttery texture & distinct & rich flavour of the avocado makes this dish a dream come true. LET’S CALL IT MAC & AVO, kay?
It takes just 15 minutes to put this dinner together, FROM START TO FINISH. All you gotta do is boil your macaroni, prep the sauce in your blender, NO SKILLET & NO HEATING NECESSARY & BAM. Mix the sauce in with your noodles & you’re good to go to avocado heaven! Literally.
I used a heavenly combination of spices that’ll legit make your MOUTH WATER before, during & after you eat it, a.k.a. you won’t be able to resist tasting it as you wait for the noodles, you’ll be partying all kinds in your mouth as you devour it & when the bowl is empty, YOU’LL NEED SECONDS.
Yes, I swear, that’s really how good this dish is. And I’m not even exaggerating!
HERE’S SOME EVIDENCE:
BTW, chickpea pasta is a great way to DITCH THE EMPTY CARBS IN WHEAT NOODLES! You get double the protein, four times the fiber & nearly half the net carbs with it! And you also get tons of vitamins, minerals & nutrients that you wouldn’t get from regular wheat pasta! And guess what? Chickpea pasta is actually, IMO, the most similar to regular wheat pasta in terms of texture! So you won’t even feel like you’re missing out! You can also use your fave red lentil pasta, or other gluten-free pasta!
This dish is a lot cleaner & healthier than good ‘ol regular mac & cheese. Think of the avocado as your cheese replacement, literally. It lends the same texture & consistency BUT WITH SO MANY MORE HEALTH BENEFITS!
Some of the great health benefits of avocado include:
- Avocados contain zinc, which is vital for hormone production, healthy skin & boosting immunity.
- They also help transport iron into red blood cells, preventing anemia & ensuring proper oxygen flow (due to their high copper content!).
- They are full of folate, which is known for synthesizing & repairing DNA & is necessary for cell division & growth.
- It’s full of B5, which is essential for fat/protein & carb metabolism, as well as healthy hormone production & vitamin B6, which is needed for a healthy brain & nervous system.
- They’re full of vitamin C, which as you guys know, is a powerful antioxidant, crucial for production of serotonin, a.k.a. the happy chemical! Vitamin C also helps promote healthy skin & fights off free radical damage in the body, thereby preventing disease.
- Many of us are lacking potassium & we don’t even know it! It’s an electrolyte necessary for maintaining normal blood pressure & kidney health.
- They are also full of fiber, which keeps digestion in check & may be beneficial for those fighting diabetes, high cholesterol & looking to maintain healthy weight.
- They also contain a good amount of iron, which also enhances oxygen transport & supports energy production, preventing fatigue.
- Avocados also contain vitamin K, which is crucial for bone health & maintaining strong bone density.
So how do you make this creamy dreamy pasta?!
- 1 package of Banza chickpea macaroni
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. minced onion
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic almond milk
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of filtered water, as needed.
- Boil the pasta according to package directions.
- Add all ingredients for the avocado cheese sauce to your blender & blend until combined & creamy. The sauce will be thick, but you can thin it out if you wish or if you’re having trouble blending it. Simply add 2 tbsp. of water at a time & blend again until desired consistency.
- Once your pasta is boiled, rinse & drain it, add it to a mixing bowl & pour the avocado sauce over it. Stir with a wooden spoon until the macaroni is coated.
- Top with black pepper & dried herbs & ENJOY! 🙂
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate.