BUCKWHEAT+LENTILS = PLANT-BASED LOVE, ya feel me?
This salad is all things sweet, savoury, herby, crispy, crunchy, fresh, nutritious & delicious!
It’s great for meal prep because it makes for a great lunch on-the-go for work or school or the perfect side dish for dinner! So… not only will it save your life in the morning when you don’t have time to prep your lunch because you have to be out the door 20 minutes ago, but it’ll also save your life when you get home after a long day & you have HANGRY kiddies & a hubby to feed STAT! KAY, but how much do you LOVE & ADORE ME?
Wanna know why I loaded this salad with double the plant-based goodness & ergo, double the fun?
Buckwheat improves heart health by lowering cholesterol & blood pressure, contains antioxidants, provides a source of highly digestible protein & a very high fibre content, which helps boost gut health & digestion. It’s gluten-free, non-allergenic & contains tons of energizing & bone strengthening B complex vitamins, as well as magnesium, copper & phosphorus.
Lentils lower cholesterol as they contain high levels of soluble fibre, boost digestive, nervous system & heart health, help stabilize blood sugar, provide a good source of protein & sustained energy & contain iron, folate & calcium.
Aside from the buckwheat & lentils, I threw in cucumber, bell pepper, green onions, 1/2 an apple for natural sweetness, crunch & fibre & some pine nuts for healthy fats!
BTW, pine nuts are contain nutrients that boost energy, including healthy fatty acids, protein & iron. They’re also a great source of magnesium, which makes them great for preventing fatigue & energy slumps, promoting healthy digestion & muscle & bone strength & health. They’re also full of vitamin E & antioxidants, which boost immunity & fight disease-causing free radicals & oxidative stress.
I kept the dressing super simple to let all the delicious, savoury & nutty flavours oft the legumes & grains shine!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup buckwheat groats, cooked
- 1 cup sprouted green lentils, cooked
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 2 heaping tbsp. pine nuts (or walnuts)
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 tbsp. organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. organic balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dried herbs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Cook your buckwheat & lentils according to the package directions.
- Once cooked, set your grains & legumes aside to cool. Adding them to a bowl with the rest of your veggies while they’re still warm will make the other ingredients soggy!
- While your grains & lentils are cooling, cut up your fruit & veggies.
- Add your buckwheat, lentils, fruit & veggies to a large bowl & season with dressing ingredients directly in the bowl.
- Toss until all ingredients are coated & seasoned.
- Refrigerate leftovers & season with a splash of fresh lemon before devouring!