These will make all your “I want the same sweet potato fries I get when I order them in restaurants” dreams come true. Ya feel me?
IMO, sweet potatoes are underestimated. I feel like a lot people stay away from them because they’re called potatoes & they’re starchy a.k.a. because they contain carbs. But, not all carbs are created equal & not all carbs are bad. In fact, the human body NEEDS complex carbs in order to function & produce energy.
Sweet potatoes have a slightly lower carb content than regular potatoes, but contain almost 2x as much fiber, which gives them “slow burning quality”. This means their caloric energy is used more slowly & more efficiently by the body & they keep you fuller longer, while providing sustained energy.
They are great for satisfying sugar cravings & they will cause less blood sugar spikes than white potatoes as they rank lower on the glycemic index. They also contain tons of vitamin A, potassium, vitamin C, b6, copper & folic acid, not to mention their antioxidant content (beta-carotene!).
These fries are probably the closest thing to a real deal sitch french fry you’ll get, but they’re healthy & you don’t have to worry about feeling crappy or bloated after you eat ’em! You can enjoy them, savour them & feel good about it!
Leaving the skin on changes the entire ballgame with these babies. It makes them EVEN CRUNCHIER, CRISPIER & MORE DELISH. Plus, did you know that eating the skin adds more nutrition to your plate in the form of fibre, beta-carotene (converted into vitamin A by the body & essential for eye health & immunity), iron, folate, vitamin C, E & potassium?!
These fries are great for same-day devouring, but they’re also meal prep friendly! Just take ’em out of the fridge, warm ’em up in the oven or toaster oven to crisp up & BAM. Add them to your fave bowls, chop ’em up in salads to add texture, have them as is with your fave pesto, ketchup or yellow mustard or have them as a side dish with some lean or plant-based protein & other roasted veggies!
Without further ado, let’s get to the nitty-gritty.
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes (skin on), sliced lengthwise into fries
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried herbs
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- A few pinches cayenne pepper
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F & line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Add the sliced potatoes to a large mixing bowl & season with all the ingredients. Toss to coat with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Once coated, place the fries on baking sheet (Try not to layer them or use 2 baking sheets).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip & bake for another 20 minutes on the other side, until golden brown & crispy.
- Once baked, broil on high for 2 min. to get them SUPA CRISPY, but watch that they don’t burn!
- ENJOY! 🙂