Okay, so if you know, you know… I cannot go a week without meal prepping some sort of energy or protein bite! These are literally my life saviours when I get home from the gym STARVED & needing some refuel before I can actually prep myself a smoothie or Buddha bowl!
They’re full of delicious & nutritious ingredients & they really are the perfect snack to hold me over until my next meal! What I love about them is that all I gotta do is open my fridge, take ’em out & DEVOUR ‘EM! And I can feel SUPER GOOD about doing so because I know exactly what went into them & how beneficial every single one of those nutrients are for post-workout recovery & refuel.
BTW, timing wise, they say you should eat something that contains protein & carbs anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes after your workout to adequately replenish your glycogen stores, stabilize your blood sugar & restore the energy burned during your exercise by providing distracting & sustainable energy to your body.
So what’s so great about these?
- THEY ARE SO YUMMY!
- Simple to make, just 6 ingredients, ready in minutes & made with REAL INGREDIENTS.
- Great for post-workout refuel, on the go snacking, dessert, or a kick of energy after a long day!
- Customizable! You can swap the almond butter for peanut butter, cashew or sunflower butter to make ‘em nut free! You can also add chocolate chips, dried fruit, goji berries, shredded coconut or raw organic cacao nibs!
- Naturally sweetened with raw organic honey!
- Full of protein, fibre, healthy fats, vitamin E, antioxidants & omega fatty acids!
- I threw in some collagen to make these skin, gut & muscle & joint healthy & to fight all the signs of aging! Collagen also contains tons of protein & amino acids. If you prefer, you can swap it for your fave protein powder. The choice is yours & the sky is the limit!
Without further ado, let’s get to the nitty-gritty.
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raw organic honey (or brown rice syrup or coconut flower syrup)
- 1/4 cup raw creamy almond butter (or any other nut or seed butter of choice)
- 2 tbsp. raw organic cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (or protein powder)
- 2 tbsp. filtered water (& more if necessary for blending)
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor & pulse until combined. There should be no leftover collagen, oats should be fully mixed in with the rest of the ingredients & you should be able to roll the batter into balls.
- If the batter is too crumbly or not holding together well (which can happen depending on the creaminess of your almond butter/honey or texture/how grainy the collagen or protein powder you use is), add 1 tbsp. of water at a time until you reach the right consistency.
- Roll the batter into 10-12 balls, depending your preferred size & refrigerate on a plate lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Store in an airtight container & refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- ENJOY! 🙂