VANILLA COCONUT MATCHA DETOX COLLAGEN PROTEIN BITES COMING ATCHU BABES, RIGHT FREAKING NOW!
Call me crazy but the other day, I had a craving for something MATCHA. It’s crazy because when I look back on my life years ago, tell me I’d be craving a green superfood powder today & I’d probably laugh in your face. I was always that girl who kind of ate whatever she wanted, until it caught up to me & led me to go from one extreme to the other. Fast forward to today & I’ve found more balance than I’ve ever known in my entire life & NOW I CRAVE GREEN POWDERS, okay?
These balls are amazing for so many different reasons that I don’t even know where to begin!
- Rich in protein, fibre & healthy fats!
- Skin-glowing, gut-healing, energy-boosting, amazing for digestion, post-workout refuel & muscle recovery, full of disease-fighting antioxidants!
- Absolutely DELISH, chewy, scrumptious & GREEN!
- The texture is beyond… It’s all about that almond flour & oatmeal blend – just the right amount of chewy & soft with a crumbly touch
- They take little to no time to prep, they keep well & they’re totally customizable with your fave protein &/or collagen powders! I used Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen, but if you don’t have it or prefer to use something else, NO PROBLEM. I gotchu! I’ll explain how to sub for it in the ingredients list below.
- You don’t even need a food processor! No dates, no nuts, nothing complicated!
- Matcha is a powerful green superfood that revives the skin, body & mind & is high in antioxidants to support healthy, vitality, glow & energy. It boosts immunity, controls stress & helps with healthy weight maintenance.
OH & BTW… 1 CUP OF MATCHA = 10 CUPS OF GREEN TEA. I mean… is that not #GOALS?!
I bet I’ve got you wondering… what’s all the hype about the Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen? Ok, well first things first, it combines all the benefits of matcha green tea with the ones of collagen protein! It’s like a dream come true.
Collagen is the building block of all the body’s connective tissues & is basically the glue that holds our bodies together. Without it, we wrinkle, sag, lose bone, muscle & joint strength, the vitality, glow & youth in our skin declines, our hair becomes brittle & thin & our nails become weak… IS THAT NOT ENOUGH TO TELL YOU THAT YOU NEED COLLAGEN IN YOUR LIFE? Research has actually shown that as early as our late teens, we lose about 1% of collagen per year!!!!
The Matcha Collagen is great because you’re getting a full 10g of collagen per scoop, BUT ALSO: tons of antioxidants to fight free radicals, oxidative damage & promote overall long-term health! It’s easy to use – all you have to do is combine it with your liquid of choice or throw it into your baked recipe, smoothie or oatmeal to add a good ‘ol dose of health! It also supports gut health as collagen helps seal any gaps in the intestinal lining & collagen is very easily absorbed & digested by the human body.
All this to say, if you have the Matcha Collagen, USE IT. If you don’t, I’ll tell you how to sub for it (BUT GET IT!!!!!).
ONE LAST THING: When buying your matcha powder, WATCH OUT. Just like any other food items you may buy in a package, checking the ingredients list before purchasing it is always a good idea! There are lots of matcha powders on the market that contain filler ingredients. This not only helps companies offset the costs because more fillers means less matcha powder, but it’s also a way for companies to try to make the matcha taste better (for people who can’t seem to stomach that green taste). As such, companies will often add sugars or syrups to dilute the taste of the matcha & to try to make it more enticing for people to buy it. THE INGREDIENTS LIST SHOULD BE NOTHING BUT 100% PURE MATCHA. No additives, no artificial or natural flavours, no sugar, NO BS.
An indication that you’re buying high-quality matcha can also be the price. If you’re buying matcha for the same price you’d pay for a box of 12 chamomile tea bags, you’re likely buying culinary grade. You want HIGH-QUALITY matcha, that’s made with young, fresh leaves & processed with extreme care. A good grade of ceremonial matcha should cost about $25-$40 for about 30g. While this isn’t the BEST indication (because companies can still overprice a lower-quality product if you’re buying a reputable or well-known brand), it can be helpful!
Now, without further ado, what do you need to make these?!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen
- TO SUB FOR IT: 1.5-2 scoops of your fave protein or collagen powder + 2 tsp. organic matcha powder
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup organic raw coconut butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. filtered water (& more as needed if dough is too crumbly)
- 1/4 cup coconut flower syrup (or pure organic maple syrup)
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL: Organic unsweetened shredded coconut or raw organic cacao nibs for rolling
- Add all your ingredients to a mixing bowl (except coconut butter & toppings for rolling, if using) & mix using your hands until combined.
- If your coconut butter is hard & crumbly, melt it in the microwave until it becomes soft, but not liquid.
- Add the coconut butter to the bowl with the rest of your ingredients & mix until it’s fully combined.
- Add a bit more water if needed to help with mixing & texture (I had enough with the 2 tbsp. of water but this will likely depend on the texture & consistency of the protein/collagen you decide to use).
- Roll into 12 balls & place on a plate lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour & enjoy! :))
- Keep leftovers sealed in an airtight container & refrigerate or freeze. They’ll last longer if kept in the freezer (DUH!).