I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS RECIPE. I mean… what recipe am I not excited about though? Let’s be real here.
These are basically your dream come true vegan chocolate chip cookies in crumbly bar form! (& an amazing way to use your leftover almond pulp or you can also use almond flour! You can stop panicking now – you don’t have to make homemade almond milk in order to be able to make this recipe babes! You simply have to modify the baking time to make sure the flour bakes up the same way the pulp would!).
They’re super nutritious, healthy, crumbly & crispy on the outside, soft & chewy on the inside!
They’re made with a few simple ingredients & they’re completely dairy, flour, egg & refined sugar free!
They’re even better when chilled & a much cleaner alternative to store-bought bars laden with added sugar, chemicals, preservatives & fillers.
Just to give you an example, let’s compare these to the ingredients in the Quaker Chocolate Chip Chewy Bars!
GRANOLA (WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, BROWN SUGAR, CRISP RICE [RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, SALT, MALTED BARLEY EXTRACT],WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, SOYBEAN OIL, DRIED COCONUT, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SOY LECITHIN, CARAMEL COLOUR, NONFAT DRY MILK), SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, COCOA BUTTER, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLA EXTRACT), CORN SYRUP, BROWN RICE CRISP(WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICE, SUGAR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, SALT), INVERT SUGAR, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, GLYCERIN, SOYBEAN OIL. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SORBITOL, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, WATER, SOY LECITHIN, MOLASSES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, BHT (PRESERVATIVE), CITRIC ACID.
*The nutrition facts of some club pack offerings may differ. Check your label.
CONTAINS WHEAT, COCONUT, SOY AND MILK INGREDIENTS.
MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT AND OTHER TREE NUTS.
First off, can we discuss how many freaking ingredients are in them? I nearly lost my breath! Okay, maybe not, but WOAH. Why all the ingredients? So unnecessary. Oh right, to preserve them & prolong shelf life… No, but seriously, my goal is not to break down why every one of those ingredients is good or bad for you, but rather just to show you that you can make delicious healthy snacks int he comfort of your own home with ingredients that you trust, love & stand by & without compromising flavour & enjoyment, while prioritizing your health!
So now, without further ado, let me excite you with a MUCH SHORTER ingredients list & a much cleaner one if I do say so myself!
- 1/4 cup pure organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup & 2 tbsp. filtered water (or replace with maple syrup for sweeter bars)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal (or replace with chia seeds, if you prefer!)
- 1 cup almond pulp OR almond flour
- 1 cup GF rolled oats
- 1.5 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup mini vegan dark chocolate chips (LOVE THE ONES BY ENJOY LIFE!)
- 2 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter (or swap for your fave nut butter, such as peanut, cashew, hazelnut, walnut, coconut OR a nut-free option, such as sunflower seed butter).
- First things first, if you’re using almond pulp, squeeze out any excess moisture. The best way to dry it out & to ensure that it won’t make your bars too moisturized or wet is to store it in the fridge overnight to allow it to fully dry out. You can also use a dehydrator to hasten the process, if you have one.
- Preheat the oven to 350F & line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the maple syrup, flax/chia & water in a small bowl & set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flax/chia egg to gel up.
- While you’re waiting for the flax egg, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl (a.k.a. the almond pulp/flour, oats, cinnamon & sea salt).
- Once you combine the dry ingredients, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients (including the flax or chia egg) to the dry ones & stir until absorbed & combined.
- Press the dough into the loaf pan & spread evenly. Flatten with a wooden spoon or your fingers to fill in the edges.
- IF USING PULP: Bake for 30-32 minutes, until golden brown & firm on top.
- IF USING FLOUR: Bake for 27-29 minutes.
- Allow the loaf to cool for 1 hr. before slicing OR refrigerate it for about 30 minutes & then slice into bars or bite-sized brownies with a good quality bread knife!
- Wrap the bars/bites in plastic wrap & refrigerate or freeze to hold shape!
- ENJOY! 🙂