MOM’S SPECIALTY PEANUT BUTTER CHICKEN!
I AM SO BEYOND EXCITED TO SHARE THIS ONE WITH YOU GUYS BECAUSE I KNOW SHE’D BE PROUD!
For those who don’t know, my mom was a great cook & I really believe that she’s one of the reasons why I developed such a passion for it!
My sister & I often reminisce about her delicious meals & try to recreate them! Sometimes, we try to create healthier versions & other times, we’re happy if we can even remember or succeed at recreating a recipe in & of itself!
Last night, we attempted a remake of her famous PEANUT BUTER CHICKEN CUBES & we did a hella good job! This was one of our fave dinners to come home to after long days of work & late nights in the library! She’d serve it with some warm fluffy brown rice & roasted or sautéed veggies & WE’D SIT AT THE DINNER TABLE IN SILENCE because we were so busy drooling over the deliciousness & our mouths were full until there was nothing left!!!
Its made with a few simple ingredients that you probably have on hand, takes just 15 minutes to prepare, makes for a DELISH dinner that the whole family will drool over & is totally customizable. By customizable, I mean you can swap the PB for almond butter or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
Without further ado & out of fear that you’ll drool all over your keyboard or phone or iPad or whichever electronic device you’re reading this post from, LET’S GET TO THE RECIPE!
- 1 pack extra lean chicken breast OR de-boned chicken thighs, sliced or cubed
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup organic creamy peanut butter
- Swap for almond butter if you don’t eat peanuts or have an allergy or simply prefer it OR sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option
- 1/4 cup Naked Coconuts coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. filtered water & more, as needed (to thin out the sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp. arrowroot starch (or corn starch) & more, as needed (to thicken the sauce)
- TO SWEETEN: 1/2-1 tbsp. raw organic honey
- OPTIONAL: 1/2-1 tsp. Sriracha
- TOPPINGS: Sesame seeds &/or green onion, sliced
- Add all the sauce ingredients (including sriracha & honey) to a bowl & mix until fully combined & incorporated. Sauce should be creamy & thick but not so thick that it still looks like peanut butter.
- Add more water/coconut aminos if you need to thin it out a bit.
- Heat the sauce over medium heat in a skillet, stirring consistently until thick.
- If it’s not thickening, add more arrowroot starch (~1/2 tbsp.).
- Don’t heat it higher than medium or the PB will clump & burn!
- Once thick, remove the sauce from heat & set aside.
- In a separate skillet, spray coconut oil & heat over medium-high heat. Once heated, add chicken & cook until no longer pink & almost cooked through.
- Lower heat to medium & pour the sauce into the skillet & stir to coat the chicken. Cook for another 2-4 min., until chicken is cooked through & sauce sticks to it.
- Top with sesame seeds &/or green onion & ENJOY :))!