Who agrees with me that there is no better feeling than that full fridge feeling?!
Our weekly grocery list is pretty consistent when it comes to fruits & veggies & there are always some products stocked at all times, not to mention, OUR MEAL PREP SHELF!
We like to do one big grocery run per week & then fill in the gaps here & there if we run out of something or crave something in particular! When it comes to the products we have stocked at all times, we generally rotate between them & they’re usually a part of our once a week grocery haul whenever we run out of them! Obviously, when it comes to produce, since we live in Montreal, the fruits & veggies we buy will vary from season to season, based on what’s in season & what’s available!
Below, I’ll list some of our weekly fridge staples, as well as our stocked staples that we tend to keep on hand! I’ll then give you guys some of my tips & tricks when it comes to keeping fridge staples & meal prepped foods fresh!
PRODUCE: Apples, oranges, berries, Asian pears, kiwis, peaches, prunes, avocado, bananas, fresh herbs, spinach, kale, arugula, sweet potato, celery, clementines, butternut squash, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, lemon & lime, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumber, onion, Brussels sprouts, rapini, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, asparagus, radish & cabbage.
STOCKED STAPLES: Organic grass-fed Greek yogurt, turmeric paste, eggs, sesame or original Ezekiel toast, bee pollen, B12 spray, chlorophyll, aloe vera juice, marine phytoplankton, apple & cherry butter, sauerkraut, organic salsa, kimchi, dried figs & cranberries, Go Macro & Simply Protein bars, raw Dijon mustard, kombucha, organic cottage cheese, organic tomato sauce, sriracha, raw nut butters, probiotics, coconut water, GF brown rice flour wraps & clean spreads, like Forte Foods blueberry date spread or Kapow NOW! chocolate spread.
Having a fridge full of healthy food & tons of meal prepped deliciousness helps us stay on track & means there’s always a healthy option ready for when the HANGRY-ness kicks in! (And trust me when I say that NOBODY LIKES A HANGRY KELLY, KAY?).
To keep our produce fresh:
- We make sure to maintain proper fridge/freezer temperatures – fridge temperature should be at 37 degrees (but anywhere between 37 & 40 is generally recommended) & freezer temperature should always be zero!
- We wash our herbs & green onions & wrap them in paper towel then place them in sealed Ziploc bags to preserve them.
- We reorganize the fridge every few days to make sure we don’t forget about anything, to ensure that everything remains fresh & to keep it clean.
To keep our meal prep fresh:
- We like to store all our meal-prepped food in airtight containers to preserve freshness!
- When it comes to baked treats (muffins, protein bites, cookies), we like to store them in the fridge or freezer to make them last longer & to preserve texture.
- Homemade nut milks are always stored in Mason jars.
- We make sure not to overpack our fridge so much that we block the ventilation systems in the back because it can actually mess with fridge temperature & make the food freeze.
- If we do cut up any greens (for example: kale) or veggies (celery, bell peppers or broccoli, zucchini noodles), we like to store them in airtight containers, as opposed to Ziploc bags. This keeps them crisp & fresh, as opposed to getting watery or soggy in Ziploc bags.
- When it comes to warm or hot dishes that we meal prep, we let them cool off completely before storing them in the fridge. If you don’t let your food cool off completely & you cover it with an airtight lid right away, condensation happens & it can get soggy or watery.
WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVE GROCERY STAPLES?! Share in the comments below! I love hearing about your favourites & I’m always open to trying new products & deliciousness!