This week, for meal prep, I wanted to change things up from the cauliflower rice & do something a little different. Cauliflower rice (& really, cauliflower anything) has really become a staple in my diet & ergo, in my meal prep!
But, you all know I’m quite adventurous when it comes to cooking & I like to change things up a bit every now & then & when I can so that I don’t get bored & to make sure I get a variety of foods! Cauliflower & broccoli are similar in terms of texture & benefits so I figured, why not try out broccoli rice?
My sister actually tried to convince me that it wouldn’t work because it’s not cauliflower, but I’m like “meh, I’ll try it anyway” ’cause that’s just what I do! And so I tried it – I put tons of broccoli florets into my food processor & hoped for the best & BEST I GOT! The result was absolutely magically green!!!!
One challenge done & I proved my sissy wrong, MUAHAHA!!!
Then, I cooked it with some sautéed mushrooms & onions, threw in tons of garlic, minced onion, nutritional yeast, some raw Dijon mustard & fresh lemon juice & OHMAGOD.
Suddenly, broccoli rice came to life. AND A CHEESY ONE, IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF (but it’s actually dairy-free!). It’s such an easy, simple, delicious & super nutritious dish ready in like 15 minutes! This is such a good idea to make for meal prep because you can eat it so many different ways & in so many different dishes!
And I mean, I am ALL FOR ANYTHING THAT TASTES LIKE CHEESE… I guess you could say I’m cheesy like that!
Without further ado & out of fear of boring you with my cheesiness, let’s talk about how to make it!
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- 1 sweet white onion, diced
- 1/2 package of Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large bunches of broccoli, florets only
- 2 heaping tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. minced onion
- 1 heaping tbsp. raw organic Dijon mustard
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Add the broccoli florets to the bowl of your food processor & pulse until you obtain a rice-like consistency. Be careful not to overly pulse – you don’t want it to turn into broccoli mash!
- Spray a large skillet with coconut oil cooking spray & heat over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add the onion & mushrooms & sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring every now & then. Cook until onion is fragrant & translucent & mushrooms begin to look browned & cooked through.
- Add the broccoli rice, spices, nutritional yeast, Dijon, lemon & sea salt & black pepper & sauté over medium heat for another 3-5 minutes, until broccoli is slightly cooked, but not overly. You want it to remain relatively crispy & not become mushy!
- Remove the skillet from the heat & ENJOY! 🙂