Happy Sunday (& happy meal prep day… for me anyway!)
One of the first recipes up on this week’s meal prep menu is these LEMON CHIA COCONUT ENERGY BITES! Nothing to brighten these cold winter days like some fresh & bright energy balls that are simple to make, full of flavour, clean, healthy & made with real food & the perfect combination of citrusy & naturally sweet!
The base of these babes is raw organic cashews & I threw in coconut flour & shredded coconut to add texture!
They’re low in sugar & carbs & a great way to get in tons of healthy fats, vitamin C, antioxidants, protein, electrolytes, vitamins & minerals! I even added some Bulletproof MCT oil for easy digestion, brain & heart health & a sustained boost of energy! You can also just use regular coconut oil, if that’s what you have on hand.
These are a fun change-up from my usual protein bites, which are usually made with gluten-free rolled oats & a combination of protein & collagen powders. The base of these is a little heartier, but also super nutritious! The cashews gives these balls more of a chewy texture, as opposed to something crumbly!
I also threw in some chia seeds because I’m seriously all about them lately! They’re FULL of fibre & you all know that fibre is something I consciously try to make sure I get enough of in my diet to keep my digestion on track. They’re also packed with healthy omega fatty acids, which fight inflammation & promote healthy skin & gut.
Without further ado, let’s get right to the recipe!
- 1 cup raw organic unsalted cashews
- You can also swap the cashews for macadamia nuts, if you prefer
- 1/4 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded organic coconut
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 2 tbsp. light organic coconut milk (OR almond / cashew milk OR regular milk)
- 2 tbsp. pure organic maple syrup
- A cap full of pure organic vanilla extract (about 3/4 tsp.)
- 1 tbsp. Bulletproof MCT oil (OR regular organic coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp. organic chia seeds
- TOPPING: 1/2 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut for rolling
- Add the cashews to the bowl of your food processor & pulse until fine & crumbly.
- Add all the other ingredients & process until a dough is formed. You should be able to roll it into a ball.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded coconut to a small bowl.
- Roll the dough into 15-16 balls, roll them in the shredded coconut & place them on a plate or tray.
- Place the plate / tray in the fridge or freezer (if you want ‘em faster) to harden
- ENJOY! 🙂
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container OR in the freezer, if you prefer a firmer texture &/or want them to last longer.